Alpine flower, Nicola Region, ID?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Fran Friesen, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Fran Friesen

Fran Friesen Member

Hello all,
    I have just joined the board hoping for some help in Identifying some wildflowers.

My husband and I have been photographing wildflowers in the Nicola alpine regions and am stumped to find the name of this plant. It doesn't really look like a flower but it grows profusely in this one meadow we frequent.

Thanks for your input,
    Fran

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Orthocarpus or similar.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Fran,

I frequently photograph around the Merritt area as well.

Ron mentioned Orthocarpus, and some of these species have been moved into Castilleja -- I think it might be something that has been traditionally placed in Castilleja (the paintbrushes), and I'll stick my neck out and suggest Castilleja parviflora.

Unfortunately, paintbrush species are highly variable (with Castilleja parviflora being a great example), so you'll find many different photos of that species on a site such as E-Flora BC.

I'd be curious where you found it, as I've never run across this species (if I've identified it correctly) in the Nicola area. The closest I've seen it, I think, is Mt. Thynne.

4. Fran Friesen

Fran Friesen Member

I Googled images for the two species suggested and I would say it is closest to this Orthocarpus posted by Berkley University
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+1007+0417

These grow profusely in the open meadows of Roche Lake Provincial Park. We stay up there much of the spring to fall season. The flowers never really open more than what you see. Here is a closeup photo of it. It begins showing in late May , early June and blooms in to July.

Thanks for your replies,
    fran

Attached Files:

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, I'm fairly certain I know what it is now.

It isn't Orthocarpus imbricatus -- all of the purply Orthocarpus species in British Columbia are either extreme southern Vancouver Island (all rare), Osoyoos area (most rare) or extreme southeast BC (single species, common-ish).

How about...

Castilleja cusickii?

Common in Washington, but a red-listed (endangered) species in British Columbia. There is a dot on the E-Flora BC map that pretty much matches Roche Lake: Castilleja cusickii -- click on the "Click here to view the full interactive map and legend" and zoom in to the area near Roche Lake.

6. Fran Friesen

Fran Friesen Member

I'd say you are bang-on Dan. I looked at the satellite map and the marker is right beside Roche Lake ( I recognize the lake shape and lakes around it)

I have a few other ones I am struggling with that are not in the numerous books I have looked in including the Clark and Lewis encyclopedias of BC wildflowers. So expect to see a few other inquiries :-)
    Every time we go out hiking we seem to spot a new one or two.

Thanks very much!

Fran

7. Daniel Mosquin

If you have a slightly more specific location (i.e., take this trail or this road) for where to see the plants, I'd appreciate it. You can send me a private message by clicking on my name -> Send a private message to...).

I have a presentation on the plant family that this species belongs to, but I don't yet have a photograph of it, and would like to get one.

8. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years