Aloe vera problems

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by plant1and1animal1lover, Sep 4, 2007.

1. plant1and1animal1lover

plant1and1animal1lover Member

i have a question cause my aloe vera plant has these weird white spots all over it and i was wondering cause from reading all these posts. I figured out i watered it too much so i was wondering if i could just give it totally new soil. Will that help it regain its color and take off the gross brown tops?????

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

A picture might help... some Aloe vera cultivars come by their spots naturally. Try replanting it in fairy dry soil and cutting the brown stuff off, and then starve it a bit - don't water it for say 2 or 3 weeks. If the spots are fungus, this won't save the plant, unfortunately. If they're the normal spots that Aloe veras develop as they age, then it should bounce back.

HTH

3. unther

unther Active Member

I agree that it very much depends upon the nature of the spots. New leaves seem to be much less spotted than older leaves. If the spots on your plant are somewhat elongated, evenly distributed over the surface of the leaf and appear to be in the same plane as the leaf (as opposed to sticking up or down), then it's probably normal. If they seem to be of a different texture or are sticking up, that might indicate a fungus or some sort of infection. And, yes, a picture is worth a thousand posts.