Aloe plant grower needs advice

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Miss Little, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Miss Little

Miss Little Member

I am not at all familiar with growing aloe vera plants, but I really enjoy having them. I purchased two plants back in January, one for myself and the other for my Mother-in-law. My mother-in-law's aloe plant has grown tremendously and mine is not much larger than it was when I bought it. I had it in a window where it got some sunlight, but not direct sunlight and it grew a little taller and it didn't change colors until I noticed that my mother-in-law had her plant in a window where it gets direct sunlight. I thought that would help my plant, so I put it in another window where it could get direct sunlight as well, but that didn't seem to work. My plant turns a purple color when I put it in the sun after a few days. I know that aloe plants should not be watered too much and that they like lots of sunlight. I also have a problem with the shoots falling off, I don't know what to do about that either. I was wondering if I could repot the shoots that fall off. I tried it once and it began to rot away. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Could someone give me some pointers? I could really use the help. Thanks.

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hi there,

Aloes do like lots of sun IF and only IF they are used to it. The purple might be sunburn. Slowly get the plant used to more and more light. Nothing likes to be watered "too much" that is what "too much" means, but they are succulents that need less water than other plants. The simple rule is to let the soil dry out completely between waterings then water it thoroughly. During hot/dry weather this could be as much as any other houseplant. So, my advice could be to give it more and more light until it is used to the sunniest windowsill in the house (or it can actually go outside in the spring and summer) and water it totally when ever it dries out. In the winter it will stop growing. Then water only about once a month until you see it start to grow again.

As for the offshoots, how are they falling off? Normally they grow out of the base of the plant and stay there until you cut them off. But if you want to pot them up, do it in sandy soil, don't bury them too deep, and water as little as you dare. Rot is normally the result of too much water.

M.

3. Miss Little

Miss Little Member

When the shoots fall off, it's like the shoot has gotten too heavy to be supported by the stalk and just fallen off. The plant now has one "little" shoot left and it has very little root left. I don't know if it will survive. It's in really bad shape. I would like to save it, if at all possible. I read a previous posting about someone who fertilized there aloe with Miracle Grow 15-30-15. Will this help my plant or is it too late to do anything for it?

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

It is difficult to say what happened to your little aloe. However, the fact that you say it has little root left implies there may have been some rot. Perhaps from overwatering during its winter dormant period.

Given the time of year, it should be into its active growing season and may respond to treatment better.

Get yourself some "cacti and succulent" mix and some rooting hormone at your local nursery center. Dust the roots in the rooting hormone and then pot it in a container not much larger than the spread of the roots. It may be a little top heavy and need some support. Wait about 4-7 days before watering to allow the roots to heal up from the repotting procedure. Soak it good. Then wait until it is dry again before watering. Place it outdoors in a shady, protected area where it can get the air circulation, but not where it can be exposed to sun and rain. After several weeks it should perk up once the roots begin to grow. It may not be until next year before the foliage begins to grow significantly.

Most folks that loose their succulents during the winter months do so because they don't appreciate the dormant period.

I'd avoid using any fertilizer until the plant is well established. All you may end up doing is adding a bunch of salt to the soil mix. Most succulents really are not that demanding and often times do best with a little neglect. They tend to do best a little root bound in a well draining mix. Some folks aren't even using soil, but fine bark chips and gritty sand or finely ground stone chips.

As for the light requirements, I agree with the previous poster. Most plants will adapt to increasing light conditions, but it has to be gradual over several weeks. A shady spot outdoors may actually have more light than some sunny spots indoors, which you won't believe until you actually use a light meter or experience sun burn on your plants.

Good luck

5. Miss Little

Miss Little Member

I will surely try the "cacti and succulent" mix and follow your advice. I'll keep you informed on the progress. Thank you so much!!!!

6. Amany

Amany Member

I would add that you should use an unglazed clay pot with a drainage hole at the bottom. Plastic pots hold moisture longer. If you've already repotted and are using a plastic pot, just make sure there are drainage holes.

7. Miss Little

Miss Little Member

I'll try that as well. Thanks.