Aloe Ferox dying

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by naryn, Jul 30, 2008.

1. naryn

naryn Member

Hi,

This is my first post, i just found the forum and am hoping you can help. I have been growing some fire aloe from seed. Intil a few days ago they were growing well, thick lush green leaves. Suddenly they started dehydrating, then turning a darker colour. I have read alot about not over watering etc, but no matter what i do i cant seem to revive them. If i leave them without water for a week i worry they will now just finish dying. I can repot if that is a good idea?

please help, i have attached 2 phots i took yesterday. Yes the soil is wet because i was attempting to drench dry like i read.

thanks

naryn

Attached Files:

2. jerrman

jerrman Member

Your soil looks awfully wet. My thought is you need a more porous soil. Another thought is to take it our of the soil and let it dry up for a day or two. Then replant in a medium that contains about 1/3 potting soil, 1/3 perillite and 1/3 vermiculite. That should help. Keep us posted.

3. naryn

naryn Member

Thankyou for replying, i did consider doing this. Would it be ok to unpot them, wash the soil off the roots and leave them in the house on some tissue paper for a few days then? I was afraid to do this as they already seem very dehydrated so i cant work out how depriving them of water will rehydrate them :-)

To hand i have perlite, compost and sharp sand i can use. They are currently in a mix of 25% sharp sand to 75% compost because that is what the packet suggested. And they were doing fine! I wish i had a photo of them from then to show lol

naryn

4. jerrman

jerrman Member

Your idea sounds like a good one. I would wash off the soil and leave in the house like you said but only for a day.

I don't know if I would use compost, it seems to hold a lot of moisture and the soil needs to be free draining. The perlite should help with that.

You say your afraid of letting them dry out, the brown could be rot developing and not a case of dehydration.

The mix that was suggested on the packet could have been for seeding. Once the plant has started to mature you would need to repot in a more porous mix (Just a guess).

Hopefully someone else will chime in so I am not the only one giving advice...