Alien

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by yousatonmycactus, Feb 24, 2007.

1. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

I took this photo yesterday at Alice Keck Park in Santa Barbara. There are no name plates on any of the specimen trees/plants. This particular tree looked very healthy except for the eruptions on the bark that reminded me of the alien bursting from the chest of the patient in "ALIEN" the movie. It also reminded me of barnacles on a pier. Can someone identify the tree and let me know if these "eruptions" are natural or a disease? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

No pic. Would it be on a Cedrus deodora? See pics working now. not a deodora, which have knobs on them sometimes, that can be knocked off.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  3. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

I would guess that's a carob, especially if those are its leaves. I don't know why some of them develop that rough bark.

4. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

I would agree regarding carob, however, I grew up with a carob tree in the front of our house. This tree, in Alice Keck Park, had no pods, a la "Saint Joseph's Bread", however, you have certainly struck a chord that I will persue. Thanks.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like a canker to me. Similar diseases (with several different causal agents) occur on various trees.

PS spellcheck for Chimera: Cedrus deodara