Air-layer Pinus nigra?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by globalist1789, Dec 6, 2006.

1. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I'm hoping to air-layer my pinus nigeria (Austrian Black Pine). I've read up on the process, time of year, etc. I'm just wondering if they are good subjects for air-layers?

My books and internet search didn't turn up much other than "some species are harder than others".

Many thanks,
    Michael

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Spellcheck: Pinus nigra

Pines are very difficult to air-layer, but it can be done; try a bonsai forum, as bonsai growers tend to do it more than anyone else so have more expertise in this area.

4. globalist1789

Thanks folks. Sorry for the spelling probem. It's totally the wrong word!

M.

5. SandyHill

SandyHill Member

It can be done with pines, but it is very slow. Another issue is that if you layer a branch, it will tend to stay a branch, and not want to grow upright.

Pinus nigra is easy to grow from seed, and not costly or hard to find. Why bother to air-layer?

6. globalist1789

Because I already have one, and I thought it might be faster.

7. smivies

smivies Active Member

From an effort point of view....(easiest to hardest)
    1. buy a large plant
    2. buy a seedling
    3. start from seed
    4. rooting from cuttings or air layering

From a speed point of view....(fastest to slowest)
    1. buy a large plant
    2. buy a seedling
    3. start from seed
    4. rooting from cuttings or air layering

I've got the air layering last because the years it will require to gain apical dominance (leading shoot) in the rooted cutting, the seedling will have long surpassed it.

Grafts are also faster than cuttings (in Pines) but you still have to start with a seedling and the process is only of value if the parent plant is unique (and the apical dominance problem still applies).

Simon

8. paul3636

paul3636 Member

I understand about airlayering a branch but what if you airlayer the the top of the tree? Will it grow upright like a regular tree if it takes? I bought one at the end of September an airlayered the top as soon as i got home. It has a diameter of an inch where it was layered. The top still looks good and healthy but i don't see any roots after 7 months. How long will i have to wait to see if it will root? If it doesn't work i will have to creat a jin.
    Paul

9. smivies

smivies Active Member

It's probably evident now, why Pines are not commercially propagated from cuttings or air-layering, it's success rate is very low. In any event, a 1" diameter is really too large to sustain itself with the volume of roots that could be expected from air-layering.

Simon

10. paul3636

paul3636 Member

Simon
    Thank you.
    Since It's already layered and looks health I'll keep it going until September.
    My fingers will be crossed and if it doesn't make it it will be turned into a jin on a large bonsai and if it does I'll make a medium and small bonsai.
    Paul

11. CitizenV

CitizenV New Member

Day late, dollar short. I know this is old post. The past two years I have had success air layering Pinus nigra-Austrian Pine. Both times were done mid summer and finished in fall. Surprised how fast! Faster than my Japanese Maples. I used rooting hormone powder with one and other with Clonex. I cut the ring of bark off, not the wire tourniquet method. One branch was about an inch thick the other slightly smaller. Hope this helps.

12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome, CitizenV. I don't think this is going to help the original poster, who had the question 15 years ago - he has surely either figured it out or given up by now.
    But I have approved the posting because this thread might come up on queries, and for those, your reply might be helpful.

CitizenV likes this.