Ailing Silk Tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by cbrinkerhoff, Jul 22, 2008.

1. cbrinkerhoff

cbrinkerhoff Member

I have a mature (~20 years we think) silk tree (Albizia julibrissin) that isn't looking good. Last summer it dropped nearly all its leaves by mid-summer, and this year it seems to be doing the same thing. Several main branches didn't put on any leaves at all, and as you can see, most of the tips of the branches are bare. the leaves turn yellow before dropping. It is developing blossoms, but sparsely. Any suggestions? Is it just a moisture problem?

Thanks
    CBrinkerhoff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably a pathogenic infestation. These often lose inside branches prematurely to pathogens in this region however yours is dyng back from the ends - it may be a less frequent causal agent at work.

3. cbrinkerhoff

cbrinkerhoff Member

Thanks Ron B,
    I did a little searching and found out that silk trees are particularly susceptible to vascular wilt disease

4. cbrinkerhoff

cbrinkerhoff Member

Thanks Ron B,
    I did a little searching and found out that silk trees are particularly susceptible to vascular wilt disease or "mimosa wilt" caused by a fungus called Fusarium. I have yet to learn of any methods to treat or control the spread....it actually sounds somewhat fatal. Do you have any suggestions for me? I'm sick at the thought of losing this stunning tree....
    Thanks
    Celia