Ailing japanese maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by cohosing, Apr 19, 2015.

1. cohosing

cohosing Member

A Japanese Maple I have had for 12 years has been robust until this year where most of the branches that normally turn red have not done so. In fact the poor tree looks very sickly. It is located about 4 metres from a large cedar. Would that be a factor and is there anything I can do to bring it back?
    Thanks,
    Gary

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Can you provide pictures of the tree? The whole plant showing its location in the ground, a close up of the base of the trunk, and a close up of one of the affected branches and leaves would be helpful in attempting to determine what might be going on.

Also, did anything happen last year or over winter that might have impacted the tree? Could be weather, landscaping/treatments, rodents, bugs, etc?

3. cohosing

cohosing Member

Hi
    Thanks for responding. Will get back to you with photos when the I-phone returns home from a shopping trip.
    Cheers,
    G

4. cohosing

cohosing Member

Hi again
    I have taken a few photos of the tree. Would you mind sending me your e-mail address so I can include the attached photos. Attaching images on the forum looks rather daunting.
    Cheers,
    Gary

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years