ailing cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by marg, Jul 24, 2005.

1. marg

marg Member

Have a 40 ft. cedar that I enjoy for the shade and privacy it offers. Not sure the variety but it is starting to show signs of drying out - becoming more yellow-green. There is some sap leakage/signs of borers. Is there a product available or something I can do to save this tree or is it already too late? Lost another rather quickly 2 years ago during a hot/dry summer and would hate to see this one go as well. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You have holes in the trunk? What about sapsuckers? Nobody can make recommendations until it is determined what, exactly is happening.

One thing I wonder is if you have Port Orford cedars dying from root rot, rather than western red cedars being afflicted by drought or insects.

3. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree Ron, we need to see some photos
    to better learn what type of tree it is and
    the afflictions the tree has.

Jim

4. marg

marg Member

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera easily at my disposal but the internet is a helpful resource with some guidance... it is a Port Orford Cedar. It has some very small holes (needle size) where sap has leaked - on branches and trunk much of the way up from what I can see. I am not the landowner but rather a caring tenant.
    Thanks for the replies.

5. Ron B

Rows of holes = sapsuckers. Turning all yellow and then dying, after being normal-looking for years is root rot. Once commonly offered, still common in older plantings Port Orford cedar is now much less prevalent in commerce, due to onset of root rot.

6. marg

marg Member

No rows of holes - just little needle-like holes beneath where sap has oozed, visible only if you scrape away the sap.
    Root rot seems quite likely.
    Thanks for all the insight.

7. Ron B

If it is on the way out the bugs may have been attracted to it for that reason. I wouldn't think they had killed it unless it was full of them. But it all depends on what, exactly is going on. Sometimes trees are killed by comparatively small infestations, such as when beetles introduce fungal pathogens to trees.