Identification: Aglaonema Species

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by AglaonemaAddict, Aug 10, 2007.

1. AglaonemaAddict

AglaonemaAddict Active Member

Aglaonema Species?
    I purchased this plant locally and it was overwatered and dying (I like to buy dying plants). Anyway, it was labeled an aglaonema but I can't seem to identify which one. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. bluesea

bluesea Member

This is one of the many, many Aglaonema hybrids on the market, and without a name
    you might never be sure exactly which one it is. I have many unlabeled, unnamed Ags, and I just enjoy them for their beautiful leaves. If you can find some photos of
    'Cassandra', you might take a look and see if yours matches. I'd also suggest checking websites of some of the people who grow these, perhaps AgriStarts, and see if there are photos that match your leaf pattern and colors. I'll check a few sites myself and will get back to you if I can match one up.

Russ
    central Fla
    Aroid collector/trader

3. AglaonemaAddict

Thanks Russ! I'll check into that. I really scored some nice ags this summer, some patented, some not (that I know of). I agree with enjoying them for their beauty. When I found this one, it was so over-watered, that the stalk was almost pure mush. I instantly took it out of the soil, did a trim job, placed it back in soil with good drainage, and this plant never sprouted a leaf all winter. These leaves just started to form over the past two months. I was just glad it wasn't dead. Thanks for the reply!

4. bluesea

bluesea Member

AgAddict, I see only a silver color on green background in this Ag. Are there any muted, subtle colors in the pattern that I can't see in the small photo??

I'm trying to narrow down the choices of the various hybrids as to an ID for this plant.
    Russ

5. AglaonemaAddict

The colors are mainly green and silver. I've attached some more leaf pictures. If you look at the leaves, they have more silver than green.[/FONT]

Attached Files:

• ag2.jpg
      ag2.jpg
      File size:
      20 KB
      Views:
    • ag1.jpg
      ag1.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  6. bluesea

bluesea Member

Hi again. Please confirm again that this plant was marked as an Aglaonema when you bought it. In looking at these latest pictures, the surface looks rough, and gives the
    impression that the leaf is very thick and leathery. Is the leaf MUCH thicker than your other Ags?? If so, this might be an indication that it may not be an Ag.

The leaf also looks like it is very rounded, maybe half as wide as it is long. Is this the
    case? This may be an illusion created by the angle you took these photos, but I can't tell.

This is getting interesting.
    Russ

7. AglaonemaAddict

The leaf doesn't feel much different than a few of my hybrid ags. I have attached another picture. The pic isn't that great, but it shows the plant in it's entirety. The older leaves are definitely ag shaped. Newer leaves are rounder. Like I said, this plant was almost dead, so to have any leaves, is a great thing. (Thank you Superthrive!) Anyway, it was labeled an ag. There is a trait, which had me wondering: the bottoms of the leaves look different than my ags. You can kind of see the bottom of one leaf in the attached pic. The veins on the bottom are very prominent.
    I should also explain that I do mainly macro photography, so the texture in the leaf, isn't really visible unless you look under a magnifying glass, or in sunlight with good eyes. It's not so obvious when looking at the plant. If you see the picture first, and then try to see the texture, you will be able to find it, but it isn't obvious. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

• ag2b.jpg
      ag2b.jpg
      File size:
      59.6 KB
      Views: