agave attenuate

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by jumbojimmy, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

I'm not sure whether u guys have this succulent, but agave attenuate is quite popular in australia. most comtemporary houses that i see have at least one of that plant grown in the pot or in their garden.

To me, this plant epitomises wealth and contemporary living. when they are small they look nice, but once they turn old they look horrible - sorry to say that.

i want to try growing one of them, but how do i prevent the tips of the leave from turning brown?

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I don't know that exact plant, but leaf browning on older succulents is normal. As with any other plant, succulent leaves have a limited lifespan. The old leaves at the bottom brown and die. There is no way to avoid it. All you can do is groom the plant by cutting the browing off so that the over all plant looks better.

M.

3. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

This is a photo of agave attenuate when it reaches maturity...

Attached Files:

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

A healthy agave shouldn't go brown on the tips, it sounds like you seeing ones that aren't that happy.

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Have you bought some yet to plant?

6. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

Hi everyone...judging from that photo i saw at Gardenworld, the plant would grow very massive once it reaches maturity...which isn't to my liking because i have a small backyard...

Instead i bought Echeveria 'Black Prince'...looks nice planted in a black pot with small black pebbles around.