Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by LeftCoastAngler, Nov 16, 2008.
Anyone have one of these?
My very good friend purchased a aeroponic cloner a year ago. It seems to work, no better, nor no worse, than the traditional methods that have long been used. - Millet
I made one a number of years ago almost exactly like this rig: http://www.jasons-indoor-guide-to-organic-and-hydroponics-gardening.com/homemade-aeroponics.html
It worked fine but I got lazy and didnt make it to ripe fruit, I grew tomatoes and peppers as an experiment. :) I used it twice, once I used a 400W metal halide with a batwing reflector mounted about 30 inches above the crop, the other time I used a 95W CFL (6500 kelvin I think) with the same batwing shade about 16 inches above the canopy. Both seemed to give similiar results.
Re: aeroponic cloners ROCK!
Yes I just built one out of a tupperware tote. Its truly a thing of beauty. Instead of waiting for 2-3 weeks with plants that are 3 inches and weak. I end up with 6-7 inch plants with an inch or so of roots in a week & a half. I am astonished with the change. Its better to build 1 than spend 200$ plus on one.
I broke down and bought the materials to make one myself... -$35USD inc. 125gph pump! They wanted well over $150 for one at the garden shop. I feel like I got over on someone! :) I bought the spray heads from the garden shop, they go to a EZCLONE brand machine... 5gal bucket and lid from HD and I'm well under way! I also bought the cups and neoprene inserts from the shop...
I'm on day two, and they look like there might be some 'white stubble' already forming! :D
I got a 132gph pump for 11usd. check out ngw's eco pumps, real cheap and works great. I tried using flexible tubing @ 1st but the sprayers kept leaking. I made a pvc tubing ring and threaded it for the sprayers, I added a fogger and I am thrilled with the results!!!
...had to start over. I don't know what happened... I think the foliage dried out, and the cuttings were starting to die. This time I'm using a grocery store type bag to cover the foliage up, hoping to trap a little humidity in there... We'll see how it goes...
go buy a cloning dome or terarium dome from a nursery store, or use clear cheap plastic cups to cover them up. all the folliage died? did you check the water in your res to make sure its the right temp??? they are a little more sensitive in a aero unit but the results are amazing if you keep your eye on em
Yeah. I've since put a grocery store type bag over them until I figure out something for a 'dome'. I'm using a 5gal bucket, so I need a round one around 15" deep would be really nice... I think trying to keep the heat, and humidity locked in would increase my chances...
check you water temp. it is VERY critical. mine got a little chilled when it got cold outside and I had to add a heater since everything came to a grinding halt when it got too cold. Now that its warm again its working like a dream. you can use cheap plastic clear cups to go over individual plants works great instead of plastic. if the plastic "dome" touches da plants it can encourage rot very quickly....
yeah. I hear ya. :)
My cuttings are like 10" - 15", so I need a 'deeper' dome. The grocery bag actually fits completely around the lip of the 5gal bucket, so if this works, I may just go w/ it... I seriously doubt I'll find a lid that'll seal it better...
Round two with the Osmanthus fragrans cuttings was a failure aswell... :(
I'm led to believe that I should wait until Spring arrives and there's new growth.
The 'softer' wood might help in rooting...
The plants are into flowering mode right now, and the stems almost a wood texture...
That's probably why I'm not getting any action...
Green wood would probably be more better...
I may try some Gardenias next in the machine until then though... :)