advise book on seed collection/storage

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Arrow, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Arrow

Arrow Member

Can anyone recommend a good one?

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Maybe there isn't really much written exclusively on this...just mixed in with info in other books on each type of plant...?

I'd heard Norm Deno is working on seed storage, hope his book comes out on this topic too. He wrote the definitive seed germination analysis already...

3. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

I like to see what my public library has before investing in a book purchase. I've seen many books on plant propagation, but I can't recall any titles offhand. The following titles may be at your public library (I googled and recognized Ken Druse and Christopher Lloyd...).

MAKING MORE PLANTS, by Ken Druse. All of Druse’s books are beautifully photographed, innovative views of gardens and gardening, and this time he turns his inquisitive mind, his camera lens, and his unique eye for simple beauty, to plant propagation. Basic botany has never been presented more beautifully. A visually stunning book that illustrates details on techniques and methods, with a master list of propagation recommendations for 700 genera of plants. Druse has turned a practical topic into something that appeals to all of the senses in a must own book - whether you wish to propagate plants or not! 196pgs / 8 ½ x 11 / colour photos throughout / $74.95hc
    ~
    GARDEN FLOWERS FROM SEED by Christopher Lloyd & Graham Rice. Experience advise and delightful disagreements in the format of a dialogue between these two giants of the gardening world. A witty and informative book on how to germinate and tend the seeds of over 230 genera of perennials and annuals. 276pgs / 6 x 9 / $27.95pb
    ~
    FROM SEED TO BLOOM, by Eileen Powell. In a user friendly format with line drawings of each plant, this book gives details on growing over 500 annuals, perennials and herbs. This is my most often requested book on starting flowers from seed since it is recommended by many seed companies and other gardeners. A nice feature of the book is that it lists virtually all common names each plant goes by as well as its Latin. 312pgs / 8 1/2 x 11 / line drawings throughout / $31.95pb
    ~
    CREATIVE PROPAGATION: A Grower’s Guide, by Peter Thompson. A thorough book on all methods of plant propagation from seed to cuttings, layering, etc. Chapters on annuals, bulbs, perennials, trees, shrubs, roses, conifers, heathers, and alpines – with detailed lists indicating individual method preferences. A simple, unflashy book, jam-packed with information. Detailed drawings demonstrate many of the techniques. 220pgs / 6 x 9 ¼ /$29.95pb