Advice please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all

I would like some advice on a couple of cultivars please. I am thinking of adding a couple of trees to my collection. I am trying to find some different colours, contrasts and textures to create more interest. There are a few choices that I have in mind, but there are some that are/appear quite similar to each other so I’m hoping to learn a bit more about these similarities or differences to make to right decision. From the list I already have - Beni Otake, Butterfly, Shigatatsu Sawa and Shaina.

Beni Otake vs Villa Taranto vs Red Pygmy

Butterfly vs Kagira Nishiki vs Beni Schichihengi vs Asahi Zuru vs Orido Nishiki

Shirazz vs Pink Passion

Shigatatsu Sawa vs Higasayama vs Ghost series

Shaina vs Skeeters Broom vs Jerry Schwartz

Apologise for any incorrect spelling and thank you in advance for any help with this.

Luke

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Beni Otake
    Kagiri Nishiki
    No experience with pink passion, so I can't say what is superior.
    Ghost, Sister ghost and Amber ghost
    No experience with Jerre Schwartz, so I can't say what's superior.

3. Luke’s Maples

Thanks, I will take a closer look at the Ghosts.

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

If you decide on 'gwen's rose delight' aka shirazz it's good to buy in person. There is a lot of variability in this cultivar, some are stunning and others are a complete dud. Acer palmatum mikazuki in morning sun and afternoon shade always keeps it's pink all season long. Acer shirasawanum 'Sensu' has great Summer color (orange, pink, and chartreuse) in heat and all day sun while growing in a container.

Here is Amber ghost
    Acer palmatum 'Amber Ghost'
    P6087752f

Acer palmatum 'Kagiri nishiki'
    Acer palmatum 'Kagiri nishiki'
    Fall color
    Acer palmatum 'Kagiri nishiki' fall color

Gwen's rose delight
    Acer palmatum 'Gwen's Rose Delight' or Shirazz™

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Kagiri-nishiki' has been known to revert to green.

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I see butterfly revert quite often especially with age. I have not seen this happen at all with kagiri nishiki, except for an extremely stressed tree after a winter where several days were -25F and weeks below 0F. 75% of the bark was damaged, but the tree has since recovered with no problems. Another tree showed some reversion when the owners lawn was killed by over fertilizing. The tree showed a few twigs of green that season, but 7 years after it has no reversion.

Asahi Zuru / Orido Nishiki is the worse with reversion throughout it's life.

Beni Schichihenge is variable.

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, firstly all the cultivars you are considering are excellent, we have had problems with Shigitatsu Sawa, it is rather sensitive to too much sun. Equally our Higisayama has to be protected from any sun after lunch. Vila taranto and Red Pygmy we have in our collection and to be honest they compliment each other when planted close together. Our Butterfly is 25 years old and we still have to prune out solid green shoots. It is a very delicate variation. Orido Nishiki has a wonderful yellow Autumn colour that glows and can brighten up a darker area in your garden.
    Shiraz(Geisha gone wild) has wonderful colouring and looks stunning near the light green/yellow varieties ie Orange Dream, or Reticulatum. As far as the ghost series is concerned you will get addicted to collecting them, 'we have'. Amber Ghost, Purple Ghost and Uncle ghost look wonderful planted close together. First and Sister Ghost are delicate in colouring and need a lot more protection in our experience from wind and sun and late frosts. Our Grandma Ghost looks lovely near our Ariadne. The latter has become one of our all time favourites for shape and colouring especially after Summer rain on the leaves. As far as Skeeters Broom is concerned, if you want an upright maple with good bright red colouring all Spring and Summer then you can't go wrong. It is a tough Maple. Shaina we have found to be a darker red and not so vigorous. To finish if you want to buy larger specimens of the Ghosts then Junkers is a good first place to look. Karan Junker has so much knowledge and can advise you re a purchase. If you are after small ghost plants then Lotta are very good. Contact there is Edwin Dean. Hope this has been a little help. Acerholic.

8. Luke’s Maples

Thanks to both of you for your most informative replies. I will keep looking for the Shirazz in garden centres/nurseries rather than buy online. Thanks for the heads up. I know what you mean about The Shigitatsu Sawa, the leaves on mine went a very dark almost grey - black after a few weeks in the sun. I have become quite interested in the reticulated varieties recently and would love to see some of the ghost series in the flesh.

I picked up a Jerre Schwartz and a Suminigashi at my local nursery today. I think they were mislabelled as they are a decent size in 10ltr containers and priced at only £18.99 each. I have been looking for a Jerre Schwartz so I feel lucky to have spotted this. I already have a Suminigashi but at that price I couldn’t resist. It is actually quite different in colour and leaf size to my existing one which might have something to do with different conditions. It will be interesting to see how they compare over the next year or so.

I have just been looking at the Lotta website.. My goodness, they have over 800 different cultivars. How on earth am I supposed to choose. If only I had a bigger garden. I arranged my 35 or so plants out on my patio this afternoon so I could have a proper look at them, trying to decide what would compliment and contrast along side each other. I fear I will never be satisfied.

Thanks again for the invaluable information and advice.

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hm, do they? I looked at sieboldianum, shirasawanum and japonicum cultivars, and _every single one_ was out of stock. Not a single one of the plants I looked at was actually available. It's pretty easy to list a lot of stuff, but... :(

11. Luke’s Maples

You are right. What a shame. I had heard lots of positive feedback about this seller and I’d like to think that the plants they list would be either grafted especially or ordered in on request.. otherwise, why advertise them.

I had a drive out to a garden centre I’d never been to today hoping to find something a little different. Ideally a Shirazz and/or Hogyoku. No such luck. I did see an incredible Shirasawanum Aureum that was about 7ft tall and beautifully shaped for £180 which seemed very reasonable, but I don’t have anywhere sheltered enough to keep it. They also have a decent Ryusen, which is on my list, but it was the best part of £200 and I don’t think my (non maple obsessed) wife would have been too impressed. I got a distinct roll of the eyes yesterday when I came home with the Jerre Schwartz and Suminigashi. However, I did treat myself to a 10ltr Shishigashira and an Enkan today. The Shishigashira is a strange and interesting looking thing, but it’s the first one I’ve seen in the flesh and it was a good price. Really looking forward to seeing the colours over the coming seasons. The Enkan looks quite different to a lot of the pictures I have seen and was staked in the same way a weeping dissectum would be. The leaves seem to be the correct colour and shape, but the bark is green. I think I remember reading somewhere that there may be more than one type of this cultivar. I will try and get some pics uploaded so people can have a look.

12. Luke’s Maples

Just looking through my phone and my daughter must have taken this yesterday whilst I was mowing the lawn.

I can see why I get funny looks from visitors haha

Attached Files:

JT1 likes this.
  13. Luke’s Maples

This is my current list:

Katsura
    Orangeola
    Bloodgood
    Emporer 1
    Green dissectum
    Red dissectum
    Koto No Ito
    Beni Maiko
    Shindeshojo
    Orange Dream
    Little Princess
    Aureum
    Butterfly
    Palmatum
    Autropurpureum
    Suminigashi
    Okushimo
    Emerald Lace
    Osakazuki
    Bi-Hoo
    Koto Hime
    Seiryu
    Sango Kaku
    Shigatatsu Sawa
    Beni Otake
    Ukigumo
    Mikawa Yatsubusa
    Trompemburg
    Moonrise
    Enkan
    Shishigashira
    Jerre Schwartz

JT1 likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Hi, Lotta plants are out of stock atm for maples. There is a list for this Autumn you can download and place orders ready for September/ October delivery. I am very pleased with all that I have ordered from them each year, the quality is excellent and packaging second to none. All plants are produced by Dick Van Der Maat, Lotta are his retail . Any queries contact is Edwin Deen of Lotta, I have found him excellent. Hope this is of help.

15. emery

It certainly is of help, thanks. I know that Dick is working in this way, and wondered at first if this was his outlet. But I didn't see him listed, and the prices look high for 1 year liners.

Still I don't doubt you of course, and given that it's normal that he is not selling stock now. (Actually I now notice that the front page says that everything is out of stock).

Anyway Dick van der Maat is certainly one of the best grafters in the business, his stock plants are true to name, and his liners are very clean. I have more than a few maples from him in the garden. FWIW he was doing the grafting for Hippopottering, though I don't know if he still is. Highest recommendation from me.

@Luke's Maples, nice list!

16. Acerholic

Hi Luke, nice collection and photo the two I don't have is Emperor 1 and Enkan. Lots of people reccomend Emperor 1 as it's late coming into leaf so avoids late frosts which is perfect for lovely form and colour all season.Will be Interested to see how your Enkan comes along. As far as eyes rolling from your wife when another Maple arrives, it is the same here lol. But there are worse things one can do other than fill your garden with beautiful trees. I tend to buy about 3-4 a year, so over 40 years of collecting, it really mounts up. Tried to stop buying but can't 'I'm addicted' lol. I have 7 on order this year from Lotta and am already excited about receiving them in September/October. Would have been 10 but there are 3 I wanted that are not available until 2020, so that's another order !!!! We have now run out of room so are looking to move soon to a smaller house and bigger garden. My favourite acer for 2019 I purchased in the Spring is Eskimo Sunset. No photos online do it justice, it has wonderful varigation on top and pinky bronze underneath. Wish I had bought one years ago. Anyway, give Lotta a go, we have absolutely no regrets at buying from them, as Emery stated the plants come from a very good grafter. P S buy before brexit as this might cause problems with shipments from Holland.

17. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Acerholic. It’s so reassuring to know I’m not alone regards my “addiction” haha. I will have a look at the Eskimo Sunset, it sounds beautiful.

The Emporer is really lovely. It’s a brighter red than my Blooodgood and holds its colour well through summer. I’ll try and get some pics uploaded that and the Enkan.

What do you have on order?

18. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Emery

19. Acerholic

Hi Luke, I have Lemon Lime Lace, Mikazuki, Ikandi, Beni Shigitatsu Sawa, Nishiki Gasane, Alpenweis, and Pink Filigri Lace on order. The three I can't get this year are Fairy Hair, Brown Sugar, and Zokeimi. Also would like Japanese Princess but cannot find it anywhere. Think it maybe available next year or 2021, but it's very slow to propagate and hence very expensive. I'll take a photo of Eskimo Sunset and post it for you.

20. Acerholic

. 20190730_165511.jpg 20190730_165436.jpg 20190730_165457.jpg
    Hope these are ok , took them couple of minutes ago inbetween heavy rain.

21. Luke’s Maples

Wow that is amazing. The undersides of the leaves are a completely different colour. Very interesting and pretty. I will go out and take some pics now as the (very) heavy rain is just stopping. I love the list you have - some of those I have never heard of. I love it!

22. emery

Ah, this reminds me, the correct name of the maple is A. pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset', it is often called "Eskimo Sunset" even by sellers. However it is named after its origin in the Esk Valley, NZ. I also snapped a couple of quick pics, mine gets a lot of sun but has survived the burning temperatures pretty well. True, difficult to get the purple undersides of the leaves in... 'Esk Sunset' is a cv of Acer pseudoplatanus var purpureum, it and other variegated cvs have the dark purple leaf undersides. It's slow growing, which is an advantage. Shocking pink!
    IMG_20190730_174620.jpg IMG_20190730_174659.jpg

23. Acerholic

Hi Emery, mine is in full sun, it had no trouble with 36 degrees the other day. I do think that if it can survive the heat you have had in France then it's going to survive anywhere. As I said to Luke I wish I had purchased one many years ago. Mine is 8 ft tall atm and purchased in March 2019. I would reccomend this cultivar to everyone.

24. Luke’s Maples

Here are a couple of pics. The Emperor at the front of my house, along side Osakazuki and Aureum.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

Three lovely healthy specimens, we think the rain enhances leaf colour and sure has done to your Emperor 1. It is brighter than my bloodgood also. Think it's going on my shopping list as long as my wife doesn't find out.!!!!