Advice on a new MPT

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Shade187, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Shade187

Shade187 Member

Hi all. I have recently purchased a monkey puzzle tree (3 days ago to be exact). He looks very healthy and is currently 9" in height. He looks like a letter Y at the moment.
    I'm really new to growing trees but I would like to ask a few questions if that's ok. :-)

1) On the MPT, on the top of the "Y" shape on the right side there is 3 green, spikey buds and 1 bud on the left side. Will these buds grow into branches? They literally developed within the last 48 hours.

2) He's currently in a small pot measuring 4 " in height and 3" in width. Will it be ok in this pot or should I transplant him into a larger pot now?

3) Does the tree require any fertilizer and what kind?

4) Is there any special precautions I need to take for the winter?

The tree is in my conservatory at the moment and at night I bring it into the living room incase it's too cold for the little fellow. I'm watering him once a day. Is this ok?

Any other tips of advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If growing actively larger pot may be needed now. Won't like being in the house. Would be hardy outside if not in small pot. Conservatory probably fine, if pot does not freeze up like brick. Daily watering probably excessive. Water only enough to keep moist.

3. Shade187

Shade187 Member

Hiya Ron & thanks for your reply.

I think it is growing larger. He must be going through a growth spurt at the moment. So I'm right in presuming he is too big for his pot? I will go down to the garden centre tomorrow & purchase a decent sized pot that he can grow comfortably in for the next few months.

I'm quite hesitant about leaving mpt outside, because of the frost & cold weather. Knowing my luck mpt will probably "keel" over out there. Will it be ok in the house or should I plant it outside asap?

There's one last thing. The buds I mentioned above; are these new branches?

Thanks again

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes

5. Shade187

Shade187 Member

Thank you very much. :-)

6. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

The MPT should be fine outside during winter. I have 2 which I grew from seed a couple of years ago and I've never kept them inside. Providing it doesn't sit wet, it should last quite happily.