Advice for a Ponytail Palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by theorist, Nov 17, 2012.

1. theorist

theorist Member

It certainly needs to be repotted -- it's still in the original grower's pot, and the roots are bursting out of the top and bottom (one extends about 8" beyond the pot).

I've attached photos showing the plant in both small (6" deep, on left) and medium-sized (8" deep, on right) pots, and I'd like your advice on which I should use. [In both cases I've added spacers under the plant to bring it up to about the level it would have were it planted in either pot.] I'd prefer to put in the larger one, since that would promote more growth and reduce the time before the next repotting. However, I understand that these plants like to be somewhat under-potted, likely because they don't consume much water; thus the soil could take too long to dry in a larger pot, which increases the likelihood of root rot.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

I would go with the smaller pot, or perhaps one in between the two. The bigger one is a little too big for indoor growing on that plant. I would also perhaps drill a couple more drainage holes in the bottom, since the fleshy roots can sometimes clog smaller holes.

3. theorist

theorist Member

Thanks, Tom. For all my pots I use a diamond hole saw to supplement the standard central hole (that comes with them) with several extras around the periphery, to ensure adequate drainage and aeration. Here's a pic of the smaller pot, showing the central hole plus the eight extras I drilled. The extras are small, but hopefully they're sufficiently numerous that they won't all get clogged.

Attached Files: