advice about a grapevine

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by david mckinley, Jun 22, 2011.

1. david mckinley

david mckinley Member

hi,i have a grapevine in my greenhouse that i planted 2 years ago.the first year it grew well and after the summer i cut it back to what i read on the internet,this year is year 2 and it is growing well and looks healthy,there are only 2 bunches of grapes on the vine and they look like they have gone to seed,is this normal as i know very little about it ,help.

2. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

I inherited outdoor grape vines when we bought the house 10 years ago. They have survived and flourished with no real nurturing, except for pruning, from me. I am therefore no expert and am answering because no one else has as yet but hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chip in. I am puzzled when you say that your grapes are going to seed because that is surely what the fruit is. At the moment what will be mature bunches on mine are about an inch long and are composed of tiny little tight buds which will grow bigger, become flowers which the insects and hummers polinate and will then progress into lovely bunches of grapes.
    Do you have any photos?

Margaret

3. david mckinley

david mckinley Member

hi,thank you for your reply,as you can see i know nothing about grapes,they may be all right but they were little green balls that looked like a grape,then they are looking like they have gone to seed,i will try and take a pic to let you seewhat i mean,thanks for now i will put a pic on when i take it ok bye for now.

4. david mckinley

david mckinley Member

a picture of the grapes

Attached Files:

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Those are the flowers. If they get pollinated, each flower will develop into a grape. I gather that grapes are pollinated by shaking or by hand in a greenhouse; we rarely have any problems with pollination outdoors.

6. david mckinley

david mckinley Member

hi,thank you very much for your advice,i will just watch and wait and see what happens

7. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Hi David.
    You may want to do a little experiment by hand pollinating some of the flowers while leaving some alone to see if lack of pollinators is a problem. As vitog says nature takes care of that here most of the time.
    Margaret

8. david mckinley

david mckinley Member

hi thanks again for the usefull advice,i will try that,thanks