Adding 'gypsum board scraps' to the growing soil mix

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Ottawa-Zone5, May 31, 2008.

1. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

I have read about it and seen 'gypsum board scraps' added to the growing soil mix. How does it help the soil (and plants) and what part of the gypsum board benefits the plants (if it does)?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As with across-the-board recommendations to apply nutrient sources and other chemicals to soils it depends entirely on whether a particular potting medium would benefit from a particular fertilizer. If a certain quantity of gypsum board happened to have something in it that was needed, in an available state and in the right amount - with no toxic side-effects - then there would be a benefit in adding it. Lots of conditions needing to be met there.

Another variable is the mineral content of the irrigation water being used. This affects the action and effectiveness of fertilizers used.

3. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

Gypsum board scraps are a pain to get rid of. They cost a fortune to take to the land fill. But remember- they are put together with various chemical compounds and some are treated with fire retardant "stuff". I'd think carefully about placement that could affect soils for food, or run off water. I'm thinking the gypsum sold as a soil ammendment at garden centers is more likely the best form to add to your planting area.

4. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Thanks Ann
    I was not planning to put gypsum board scraps in soil. Actually I got some 50 litr bag of soil sometimes ago and opened it this year and found pieces in it that looked gypsum board pieces and that is why I asked the question about its value add to the soil if any.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dolomite fragments? Maybe the ingredients are listed on the bag.

6. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Small amounts of gypsum board fragments probably wouldn't hurt your garden but adding gypsum is reported to be beneficial to improving soil structure.

Gypsum board is recyclable. I found a location in Ontario that accepts drywall ....

New West Gypsum Recycling
    (Ont.) Inc.
    2182 Wyecroft Road, Oakville
    Ontario, Canada L6L 5V6
    Telephone: (905) 847-0520
    Facsimile: (905) 847-0522
    E-mail: oakville@nwgypsum.com

7:00am - 5:00pm (Monday-Friday)
    CLOSED WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS

7. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

Gyproc, frequently comes from gypsum deposits that contain compounds with a greater metal content, than that allowed for agricultural purposes. i.e.Lead,mercury.. be cautious.
    Just like Lime used for cement work and agricultural use, they really should be treated as two totally different things.