Acer x pseudosieboldianum 'Ice Dragon' (‘isllD’)

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Lisa Harry, May 9, 2021.

1. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

As per the request of @Acerholic I am please to show off my newest addition the Ice Dragon from the Jack Frost collection. Found it stunning when I came across it and just love how it looks, can’t wait to see all the colours it has to offer! Hope you enjoy as much as me. This JM is supposed to be cold hardy to zone 4!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Romain01, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Lisa Harry, a stunning cold hardy maple Lisa. This one is going to give so much pleasure. Now should it go on the cultivar or maple Photo gallery !!!? At the moment IMO it should stay here.
    I wonder what E @emery thinks ?
    Do also look at this thread Lisa. Lots of info for you.
    Iseli Jack Frost Collection

3. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@Acerholic thanks so much yes I’m very excited to see what it does. It’s my Mother’s Day gift to myself, really I’ll use any excuse to do up the yard . I can certainly add it somewhere I thought the cheering ourselves up with maples page. But let’s see what @emery @Luke’s Maples @AlainK think.

4. Acerholic

Happy mothers day Lisa.

5. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thank you so much

6. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

That is truly stunning. The leaf shape and colour not to dissimilar to Emma. I want one, so no now I feel fidgety lol

Lisa Harry likes this.
  7. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

And the name... 2nd only to Dragons Fire surely?

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Cultivar IMO, all of these A. pseudosieboldianum hybrids that Iseli introduced in the "Jack Frost" series are a good example of why we should just say "Acer 'name'".

I think they really are hardy, and apparently were a very long term project indeed at Iseli. Seem like great introductions.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  9. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@emery pr @Acerholic do either of you have the link you think this ice dragon should be posted in? I think I found it but want to be sure. Thanks
    Lisa

10. Acerholic

Thanks E, that was my thought as well.

11. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

this beautiful maple, I saw it at the nurseryman "Maillot" this summer.

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Since Acer pseudosieboldianum is a species name no "x" is involved - the way it is presented below is incorrect. In addition the plant variety is 'IsLID' with Ice Dragon being a registered trademark used to sell that variety (think of the phrase "Jello brand gelatin" which through the insertion of "brand" specified that the stuff being offered was gelatin and not something called "Jello").
    Acer x pseudosieboldianum Ice Dragon® (‘IslID’) - Iseli Nursery

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  13. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I agree the way it is presented is incorrect but since the plant is a hybrid Acer x or just Acer would be more appropriate than Acer pseudosieboldianum.

I tend to agree

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The "x" is used only when a botanical name specific to the involved hybrid has been established. For instance Acer x freemanii. If no such name is available for the cross from which 'IslID' arose then it is Acer Ice Dragon(R) ('IslID)', without the "x". With again - even though it is included when giving the full designation - the registered trademark not actually referring to the plant variety itself. So that associated discussion that calls the plant "Ice Dragon" is actually not accurate. In fact there is even a convention that only parties having obtained relevant rights from owners of trademarks used to sell one or more plant varieties are entitled to include these trademarks when writing about them. So if you ever come across a treatment that talks about Acer 'IslID' without mentioning Ice Dragon(R) then that is likely to be what is going on.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    maf likes this.
  15. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well it 100% is not a pure bred and definitely a hybrid. I thought that you could use the "x" in front of a cultivar name to indicate hybrid status but if that is not the case then I am agreeing with you and @emery that Acer 'IslID' is the true name of this cultivar and "Ice Dragon" is the trademark name.

My main point was to say that it was not in any way an Acer pseudosieboldianum.

The pseudosieboldianum hybrid thing is a newer development but for many years various hybrids of Acer shirasawanum and A. palmatum or A. amoenum have been described as shirasawanum or palmatum seemingly at random. Which is obviously not right.

16. Backcountry Dan

Backcountry Dan Member Maple Society

Here are a few shots of my Ice Dragon here in Wyoming zone 4b. Summer 2023.

421416437_1449877395875587_2691956733969933257_n.jpg 421547558_1060448901709452_2451450379758700735_n.jpg 423036469_1071265260794354_4184992700805564001_n.jpg 423062706_694289182775789_3623208726979762630_n.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  17. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

004.JPG

Not the greatest picture but this is Ice Dragon at Bickelhaupt Arboretum Clinton IA USA from May 2023

Acerholic and Backcountry Dan like this.