Acer x conspicuum 'Silver Cardinal'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by yweride, Jun 6, 2005.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Acer rubescens 'Silver Cardinal'

Photos taken 6/5/05

Attached Files:

2. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer rubescens 'Silver Cardinal'

Incredible Bark!

Attached Files:

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There's a snakebark maple in Seattle that gives off variegated seedlings, have forgotten the species but it wouldn't surprise me if the particular specimen is related to one(s) overseas that have been source(s) of selections such as the one shown here.

I ended up with perhaps the most highly variegated one from a batch one year, as the grower is not wild about variegated plants and does not name and graft such things. Unfotunately, it blighted off soon after I brought it home, as though it had picked up a bacterial disorder.

The van Gelderens give preference to the name Acer x conspicuum 'Silver Cardinal', note that "It tends to revert to green but after cutting back hard the variegated foliage appears again."

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Recent addition to my garden. Introduced circa 1985 in the UK. New leaves white and pink variegated as shown in the first two pics, later losing the pink as shown in the third pic. The books say it will be 4-5 m. adult size. Pics taken April 2006.

Gomero

Attached Files:

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Follow up on this cultivar.
    Against my initial expectations, the variegation appears stronger with the new growth. These two pics, taken May 28th, show this. The plant is in dappled shade.

Gomero

Attached Files:

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

the autum coulor this year is not fantastic but however beautiful!!for the bark i agree with Mendocino...from Esveld 3 years ago grown 25cm (1 feet)for year, variegation is every leaves ,for moment no revert!

Attached Files:

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here is a more mature specimen:

silverCardinal-1.JPG silverCardinal-2.JPG silverCardinal-3.JPG

The new growth in summer makes a fabulous contrast to the very dark green leaves of the early growth. These are still well variegated (I haven't had any reversion issues) but much less pink. The bright red of the new stems and petioles adds a lovely accent.

The bark is indeed gorgeous but sadly prone to pseudomonas on new growth, which at least in the Norman climate has a hard time ripening fully. In spite of the fact that it receives little shade there is no sun burn.

I'm not sure why we have listed this as rubescens in place of A x conspicuum. Esveld (who commercialized it) and Hillier name it so and MOW tells us that it is a seedling of A. pensylvanicum with the other parent probably davidii or rubescens.

Similarly MOW states the 'Elephant's Ear' came from davidii seed and 'Phoenix' came from 'Silver Vein', "a seedling from a cross between A. davidii 'George Forrest' and A. pensylvanicum 'Erythrocladum.'

So, why do we list them all as A. rubescens, aside from the obvious resemblance?

8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

OK, I have merged the two 'Silver Cardinal' threads, leaving a permanent redirect from rubescens to x conspicuum, which seems to be the accepted name. There are still quite a few nurseries listing it as rubescens.

9. emery

Thanks Maf. I was actually looking for the x conspicuum thread to post the pics in, but somehow didn't find it.

10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, the x messes up the proper alphabetical order, but there isn't really any other way of doing it.

11. alex66

According
    Maple of the world pensylvanicum x davidii

12. alex66

in my garden is fast growing around 6 meter in few years..but ..but is not very tollerant to sun direct on branch .In summer 2012 many branch are "burned" i put pine bark and leaves of pine but and many water ,however maples it was near to dead with never leaves on branch only a little number of reserve buds.in september several prune and copper solutions and liquid fertilize;after one week reserve buds it was open and maple is in life again and after two years have a nice look .pics date today :)

Attached Files:

13. alex66

pics two are again evident the damage

14. emery

Beautiful! The Roman sun is nothing like the Norman sun, though, that's for sure!

Funny how yours has made such an upright plant, where mine in very reluctant to gain height.

The damage in pic 2, we have all seen on our snakebarks. Your solution is the only one, although I wouldn't dare give liquid fertilizer to this one; I only fertilize with a little powdered algae in the early spring, sprinkled around the drip line.

I have an A. pectinatum 'Mozart' that has damage just like in pic 2. The plant is healthy enough, but not great looking. When it gets big enough I'll take off the damaged limbs.

I like your fencing in the background of pic 1 also, does that surround your Aceretum?

-E

15. alex66

pic 1 yes!left (big)is rubrum October Glory,palmatumTsuma gaki ,rigth Olea europaea Leccino :)