Identification: Acer unknown 1?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by simongrant, Mar 1, 2011.

1. simongrant

simongrant Active Member Maple Society

Can anyone identify this maple. Grown from seed collected in Yunnan. Tree growing in Hobart Tasmania is now 3-4m in height. Leaves clearly show it is from Section Palmata: Series Sinensia. I haven't seen its flowers but the colourful seed suggest it may be Acer erianthum to me. Any other suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Guess you'll have to go back to look at the flowers. Leaves look a less acute here to me, but there's plenty of natural variation of course. My erianthum doesn't show red ribs like this.

A. wuyuanense? Not listed in MOW in Yunnan.

Beats me, but it shore is purty.

-E

3. simongrant

simongrant Active Member Maple Society

Further thoughts on the Acer ?unknown. I don't think it is A erianthum because of the lack of pubescence. Other possibilities include A schneiderianum and shangzeenense etc. They are now included in Acer oliverianum ssp oliverianum or Acer flabellatum respectively according to Flora of China. Any other thoughts. I have attached some of the seed in comparison to some Acer oliverianum ssp oliverianum. The seed is similar except for size but within the range quoted in Flora of China.

Attached Files:

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Does not look like schneiderianum do me, which I grow hear as well as erianthum. I am now thinking you've got it right and it is indeed the latter.

A. schneiderianum has much more acuminate lobes as well as significantly deeper dissection, at least on my plant.

My A. erianthum has suffered greatly in the drought this year, to the point I thought it would die in the ground and I've pulled to a pot. It is hanging in but barely for now. Interestingly the leaf ribs do now show red ribs.

cheers,

-E