Acer tschonoskii ssp. koreanum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by directorrod, Sep 1, 2016.

1. directorrod

directorrod Active Member

I am looking to obtain some Acer tschonoskii ssp. koreanum samaras this fall to add this cultivar to my maple collection. I would be happy to buy or trade for some fresh seeds.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, I was hoping someone else might reply here. It's a great maple, if mine had any seeds I'd be happy to send you some; maybe next year though it's still reasonably small. But I wouldn't be confident that what you got would be true to the parent, because these snakebark maples hybridize so easily. That's really the problem with any section macrantha seed that comes from a garden source.

Acer micranthum is quite similar, and easier to get. Would have a similar effect in the garden, perhaps.

Good luck finding it!

-E

3. directorrod

directorrod Active Member

Hi Emery! I was very fortunate to get some
    Acer tschonoskii ssp. 'Koreanum" seeds from a nursery owner in New Hampshire. She sent quite a few (she collected from the sole specimen of that cultivar she had,) and I stratified and planted them outdoors this week. I'm looking forward to spring to see what germinates. I have several beautiful Micranthum but so far they've never produced samaras. I love both the bark and the gorgeous leaves. Thank you for answering my request. I recognize your name from some of the Facebook groups we both belong to.