Acer Skeeter's Broom

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rookie-greenthumb, Apr 8, 2005.

1. rookie-greenthumb

rookie-greenthumb Member

Hi,

I am new to gardening (atleast in zone 8) and was wondering if anyone can tell me how old Skeeter's Broom usually is at full height/maturity? I planted two small trees for my very impatient husband (he keeps pestering me). I was told that Skeeter's Broom is a drwarf form of Acer Bloodgood and should only reach upto 6 to 8 feet, but that's about all the information I have been able to find.

Thanks

Rookie_GT

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

If given good culture I suspect you are in the 10 year range, but it could be faster or slower. I think that the brooms 'Shaina' and 'Pixie' will have similar growth rates, with the more vigorous form of 'Shaina' growing the fastest.

If you look in the reference books, most of the height numbers are guesses at 10 year height, but that will be dependent on site conditions. Sometimes maples will stagnate and other times we are more successful with them. You should see growth slow with age.

I couldn't find any mature picture of Skeeter's but there are pictures of similar maples out there. It is still a pretty new maple to wide spread sale and there will not be very many large 10 to 15 year plants around. Alas, the problem with many maples.

3. Thanks Much

I was thinking 7-10 years but now I can get hubby off my back

Cheers

Rookie-GT