Acer Rubrum vert. wilt?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Dixie, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

This is the second year that this Acer rubrum has shown these symtoms. Does this look like verticillium wilt or something else? Maybe a bacterial scorch? Since it has done this for two years in a row I was wondering what this could be. This maple is in the same quadrant as 8 others in right in the middle. It is the only one that does this. Any info would be great. Temps in my area have been in the upper 90's and triple digits somedays!!! This area is irrigated.

Attached Files:

2. Immanuel

Immanuel Member

Is humidity affecting my japanese maple leaves?

Hey ya'll...I live down south close to New Orleans where the humidity ranges 80%-9?% on average. When it cools down at night, dew forms on the leaves which stay wet 'till the mornin' sun rises. I haven't any photos of the leaves at this time considering I removed the affected ones. My maples are spawning new growth, but this is the consistent problem I've been having:
    I've established they have proper soil drainage, but the leaves are turning brown on the ends & curling under as if they're getting TOO much water. And on some of the leaves above the brown tips, it seems as if a black fungus from water-log saturates some areas. Is there anyone who lives around my region who can possibly help me from this basic explanation? Again, sorry for no pics...but if I spot another leaf w/ this behavior I'll be sure to post it.

Respectfully,
    - IMMANUEL

3. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

Re: Is humidity affecting my japanese maple leaves?

I am having the same problem and I live in Arkansas. I posted a question with some pictures under the woody plants forum, but I haven't had any feed back yet. Whatever is happening, this is the second year for this red maple to do this.

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

If they're in direct sun they shouldn't be, as they prefer light shade all the time, plus let them get fairly dry between waterings.

5. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi -
    you might want to move your question to the maples section. I myself have a couple of acer rubrum and I can't figure them out - I had one that presented similar leaf problems but suddenly in late September, then became chlorotic the next year.
    Anyway, try the maples forum.
    Schusch

6. Immanuel

Immanuel Member

Thank you both for responding back to me so quickly. Rima, now I'm confused a bit. Every person that I purchased my maples from instructed me to give them mornin' sun, and evening shade. Do you think that the sun they're gettin' now is effecting them? I thank you for your advice on letting them dry a bit more between waterings. I've learned recently too that japanese maples prefer less water than more if anything. Thats one thing I haven't tried, and is probably the solution. I humbly thank you for bringing to light this possible cause.

IMMANUEL

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe your local Extension office can help.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(merged the two threads - Dixie's and Immanuel's - since they are on a similar topic)

9. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is in full sun, but so are the other 7 that are in this same area and they are doing fine. I did consult our extension office last year and they suggested it was too much water and possible root problems. Maybe since this one is in the center of this quadrant (60 ft x 60 ft plot ) it is in a low spot? Good to know that no one suggested verticillium wilt after looking at the pictures. You couldn't really tell from the pictures, but this one has very severe southwest sun scald. Maybe it is just this tree's time to go. Thanks everyone.

10. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Dixie, it looks to me like that red maple has chlorosis dark-green veins, lighter-green interveinal areas - which can be due to either a manganese or iron deficiency in alkaline soils. This would certainly stress the tree and make it vulnerable to other issues, at least one of which is responsible for the browning of the leaves. I would check the pH of the soil near that tree, and you could compare it with the pH near some of the neighboring trees. Apparently, there are other causes of chlorosis, but the comment made in the following link, is the first time that I have read that chlorosis can be terminal.
    http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/tree/redmaple.htm:
    Q: I have enclosed a sample of my red maple's leaves that are starting to pale and get brown spots. (Fergus Falls, Minn.)
    A: Your maple has terminal chlorosis. This could be brought on by a number of factors: a rising water table, root decay, a high soil pH (alkaline soil) or flooding during a critical part of the growing season.
    The tree may hang on for a year or two before it dies. I have seen many heroic attempts to save them at this point, but none have succeeded. I suggest making plans to convert it to firewood. Sorry!

11. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

Thanks Laurie, I will take a soil sample like you suggested. Since it has done this for several seasons I'm afraid what it will look like next year too. Thanks again.