Acer rubrum 'Vanity'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, May 18, 2014.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Andrea,

I've seen it listed in the US but not (yet) in Europe. It seemed to me to resemble Candy Ice, which I do have. CI can be very pretty or quite underwhelming, the key point being that the second flush has the variegated leaves; the first is not interesting. So depending on what kind of year it is... I'd be very interested in hearing if there are personal experiences with 'Vanity'.

3. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I used to have a 'Candy Ice' (which I've since donated to the local botanical gardens), and I currently have a little 'Vanity' from Whitman Farms. The Vanity has much more variegation, and overall is a much more interesting tree, in my opinion. CI seemed to have sparse, inconsistent variegation, whereas the Vanity has strong variegation on all leaves. Mine is in partial shade, and therefore the bright pinkish/red emerging color didn't last more than a week or so. However, this is only my second season with it, and it's not a large tree, so my experience with it is rather limited.

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Prairiestyle, what size tree did you get from Lucile? Do you have any pictures you could post? It's good to know that this cultivar displays strong variegation, thanks.

I've been to the Omaha Botanical Gardens and it was lovely; I'm hoping they finish their Japanese Garden soon, I want to go back once that's done.