Acer rubescens 'Millicent'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by alex66, Mar 8, 2009.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

pics date today ,rare cultivar, received last winter from Holland by www.dvandermaat.com/
    the old name is Morrisonensis Millecent ,present again in some catalogue ..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: acer Rubescens Millecent

Hi Alex!

I will post pictures of Millicent also when she leafs out. Yours is more advanced, on mine the
    bud scales have not parted yet.

Please post to the "leaf out" thread when you actually see leaves! ;)

So you know, Acer is always capitalized, an 'A' not 'a'. The species rubescens is not capitalized, so
    'r' not 'R', correctly it is called Acer rubescens 'Millicent'. Or if you prefer the old way Acer morrisonense,
    I have not seen this spelled 'morrisonensis...'

I was just looking through the Maple Society newsletter for a mention of Millicent, I didn't find it.
    To what are you referring?

This cultivar is very rare because it is purportedly extremely difficult to graft, sensitive to wet and
    cold. And hasn't been around many years. I know of one stock plant that died last winter. I have
    heard of another that was doing well a couple of years ago, but no news since.

This plant has been called "the most colourful of the variegated maples."

So let us hope that ours do well. I think your climate may be very good in Rome!

-E

3. alex66

leaves!pics date today.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      276 KB
      Views:
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've patched this.

5. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Re: Acer rubescens 'Millecent'

alex & emery,
    thanks for your wonderful rubescens pictures. i love rubescens and wud love to get 'Millecent' and
    'Summer Surprise' and 'Summer Snow'. they are some of the finest variegates I've ever seen.
    if either of you ever get seeds on 'Millecent' I wud be in your debt if you sent me some like I am
    already for the seeds u sent me this winter, alex.
    emery, thanks for your kind words on my 'Mary Katherine' research and your fine thoughts for my
    friend on my 'grafting platanoides' thread.
    Mike

6. alex66

thanks Mike ,thanks Daniel
    Emery the name morrisonensis Millecent is in the catalouge of Junker's Nursery in UK www.junker.co.uk/
    ciaooo

7. emery

So it is.

Although Junker's does not currently offer this maple as the stock plant died in the wet the winter of 07/08.

With all due respect to the Junkers, I think "morrisonsensis" is wrong. I can't find another reference in the printed material, there are a few web references.

Mike, unfortunately it looks like my Summer Surprise didn't make it through the winter. There's still a little hope, but it looks like the graft is rejecting. :(

-E

8. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I am really skeptical on the different A. rubescens selections. The variability I see (for instance in 'Silver Cardinal') from one year to another in the same plant, or from the same cultivar planted at different places in the garden, is equal to the quoted differences between two given selections: 'Silver Cardinal' vs. 'Summer Surprise' vs. 'Red Flamingo'.
    I must say I like them: they are a riot and I enjoy seeing the stiff upper lip they trigger in my 'purist' garden friends when they stop at the plant. But I will stop buying selections of others and wait patiently for some seeds from my trees to get additional variegated rubescens.

Gomero

9. emery

Actually I think Millicent is quite different from the other rubescens, and well deserving of its own cultivar.

It is difficult to get a good picture of it, but I must say that this year it was far and away the showiest of the 6 I am growing, and a quite unique blend of colors. A slow grower though, not sure when I'll be able to get a Millicent into the ground... Here's a picture from today.

-E

Attached Files:

10. alex66

amazing!slow growing in Italy,but very nice variegations:)

11. emery

As of the past couple of weeks my second Millicent has died. Really neither graft ever got going properly.

Has anyone managed to grow it?

Note to the moderators, the title is still wrongly spelled. It is 'Millicent' after JG Harris' eponymous wife, not millecent (which would be close to 10€ I believe).

-E

12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Sorry about your loss.

BTW "Millecent" (and its variants) is a common surname in France, literally "Thousand-hundred". It's actually of Germanic origin, "mil"="good", and "send"= "journey, path".

I had a friend named Vincent Milcent, It sounds exactly like "vingt cent mille cent", so he would write his name XX C M C ;-)

13. alex66

i had four Millicent three are dead two after one winter with min -7° one is dead after on hot summer and my stupid method of watering :( one survivor again four years grown only two cm and is in pot again ..another rubscens Red flamingo and Silver Cardinal grown very fast, Summer snow is dead after six years Tikled pink after one..

14. emery

Interesting, thanks Alex. I also have 3 doing well in ground: the 2 you mention + 'Yakushima nishiki'. 'Tickled Pink' also died after a couple of years, I think it was a very poor graft. 'Summer Snow', another poor graft, has finally started to show decent growth after 3 years with me. The other one I have in a pot is 'Wakisaka nishiki' which is doing OK, the graft not fully healed yet.

Glad to hear at least 1 'Millicent' is still going. Mine basically suffered through "failure to thrive". I notice Junker is no longer offering the plant, and it isn't on the list at Mallet Court (Harris) either. I'll ask DVDM if he still has it, but I'll bet not.

@Alain, my poor joke was that mille cent is one 's' short of 10€... :)

-E

15. alex66

i see the "original" plant of Dick van der Maat is very beautiful !

Yakushima nishiki i have one graft on rubescens and one on morrifolium in open soil expo open sun no problem ..Wakisaka nishiki graft on capillipes is dead after 4 years