Acer pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset' full sun or part shade?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SLR2009, May 12, 2018.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, I read this tree has it's best color in more sun but a lot of sites online say afternoon shade for this tree. Do you guys grow this tree in full sun or part shade. Which do you recommend?

Thanks

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

In NE Ohio I see the large (in 36" large cedar box and 25 gallon container) Esk at nurseries on drip system get burnt pretty bad in all day sun by early July. The trees that look the best during Summer are shaded by other larger trees from the afternoon sun with full exposure morning sun. @emery should be able to give you a great second opinion as he has several varieties in his collection and years of first hand growing experience.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sometimes pseudoplatanus burns more with more water, but I do think this one is problematic in afternoon sun, especially in places like NY where the sun is very strong. The purple undersides enable it to take more sun, but they're not really present before June or so and hot spring sunshine can burn it right up. So I agree with JT, better to give it some afternoon shade, morning and late evening sun is fine.

4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Acer Trees 001.JPG Acer Trees 033.JPG Acer Trees 034.JPG My Eskimo sunset today 1st pic 10 am, this is when it gets the most light during the day , 2nd & 3rd pics 4.00pm sun over in the west, also tucked away in the corner with three other trees that prefer more shade than sun , seems to be liking where i have placed it never had one before picked this up last year in a pretty bad state for £15 leaves were in a terrible mess thought i would have a punt and but it seems to be doing ok ( so far ) looks to be getting some nice pink colouring on the leaf time will tell ?