Acer pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset' a.k.a. 'Eskimo Sunset'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mendocinomaples, Mar 28, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Spring Buds of Esk(imo) sunset

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  2. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A. Pseudoplatanus Eskimo Sunset Foliage

May Foliage of Eskimo Sunset.

Attached Files:

3. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Re: Esk(imo) Sunset Buds

Photos taken 6/5/05

Attached Files:

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Acer pseudoplantanus 'Eskimo Sunset'

This wildly variegated maple has large leaves, is late in leafing out in the spring, but the wait is really worth it. The dappled and variegated leaves are a sensation. This photo was taken May 20, 2006. I'll post another photo for this year in a couple weeks.

Attached Files:

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Acer pseudoplantanus 'Eskimo Sunset'

According to Handy nursery web site it's 'Esk Sunset', after the Esk Valley of New Zealand.

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Ron, I won't quibble with the source of the name, especially since New Zealand is so off-the-charts in its beauty and has produced so many great plants. However, I do find from googling 'Acer pseudoplantanus Eskimo Sunset' that this name shows up in several reputable and large nurseries like Mendocino Maples, Klehm's, Forest Farm, Bizon Nursery, just to name a few. So it seems to me that this plant will be called by the more familiar "Eskimo" term in the U.S., which is perhaps unfair, considering its ancestry.

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This photo (taken May 9, 2007) shows the dusted or sprinkled color characteristic of early spring on this plant. It will soon change and develop the large splotches of green and white on the leaves (as shown in the prior post). This is a very showy plant, and a very hardy one. I have it in a full-sun very hot location with south exposure where it's performed beautifully.

Attached Files:

8. bugmoss

bugmoss Member

Is it really OK to put this tree in full sun? A lot of nurseries I've googled advise afternoon shade. My specimen just arrived and I need to decide where to plant it! (It looks amazing)

9. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Mine is in full sun and is doing well. That said, it might do a whole lot better if it were in a gentler location. If I were you, I'd go with the advice to provide afternoon shade if you can. You won't be disappointed with this stunning tree.

10. bugmoss

bugmoss Member

Thanks for the advice - I planted accordingly. This is a breathtaking cultivar, my fourth of A. pseudoplatanus. The contrast between the plum-pink underside and variegated topside of the leaves is unlike any other tree I've seen.

Pic#4 - Eskimo Sunset at sunset :o)

Attached Files:

11. Ron B

12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have often been confused about the correct naming of this one, and for the reasons Ron suggests have stuck with Esk. However the World Checklist officially lists the name as Eskimo. Esk is listed as a possible synonym.

-E

13. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Yes, this is confusing. The World Checklist has 'Eskimo Sunset' pseudoplatanus listed with Woodbridge List 2006 as the information source. Also listed, however, is 'Esk Sunset' pseudoplatanus and under the origins column "= 'Eskimo Sunset'?" with the information source P/Finder 2005-6. I'm tending to think Ron's comment is the correct one to follow.

14. Ron B

Checklist may be listing most names encountered without trying to resolve all synonyms. This should be explained in it somewhere. 'Esk Sunset' attributed to "R Cave, Hamilton, New Zealand, 1985" by R. Houtman, Variegated Trees & Shrubs - The Illustrated Encyclopedia (2004, Timber Press, Portland/Cambridge).

Google "esk sunset" to see the passage from latter reference.

15. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think one of the fun trees to add to a japanese maple collection is an Acer pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset' It adds a lot of interest to a garden. When I had a garden tour it was the tree which received the most comments and questions.

Attached Files:

16. pjr

pjr Member

The straight species of Acer pseudoplatus is one of the most invasive deciduous species in Pacific NW woodlands invading even deeply shaded forests. Does anyone know if this cultivar is sterile? Otherwise I would monitor it carefully.

17. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Since I really like this cultivar, please tell me how, exactly, it's an invasive species. Truly, I'd like to know. I had one a few years ago which died because of inadequate watering. I now have a new one, small, in a pot on my deck, and it appears to be a vigorous grower. If all goes well, I'd like to plant it in my garden next year. But what, exactly, do you mean by "invasive." I have no idea if this cultivar is sterile, but I'll try to check it out. This is important to me because I want to be a conscientious gardener/collector, and this is the first no-no I've heard about this particular plant. Please offer more information.

mapledia

18. amazingmaples

I find this to be an outstanding tree for a colorful garden. Its color is interesting and its shape is nice. it seems like a large tree but it does not grow at the rate of a large tree. Here are the colors in the beginning of august

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      269.3 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      232.5 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      275.4 KB
      Views:
  19. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Isn't this a fabulous cultivar? I am so impressed with the robust quality of this particular plant, its fabulous coloring ("fu" anyone?), and its ability to handle full sun with ease. I was really devastated a few years ago when an irrigation failure while I was away killed my Eskimo Sunset which, up until the time of the irrigation problem had thrived in one of the hottest and most inhospitable locations on the planet. When it died, I immediately looked for a replacement but found them very hard to find. It took me about 4 years before I finally spotted one in a nursery, and though it's fairly small, it's growing like gangbusters. Can't wait to get it into the ground later this year. I really like this tree a lot. And guests to my garden always give it a lot of ooooohs and aaaaaahs.

20. amazingmaples

Yes, they do fine in full sun but they must keep moist always. A few times I have had irrigation issues and missed some waterings and they do suffer leaf damage. I have not lost one yet. So far I have not had powdery mildew on them or have I suffered any winter damage. I have a similar tree called Acer pseudoplatanus Nizetti which has great green and white leaves.
    I seem to always have 5 or 6 of the Esk Sunset around my place. It can get really popular at different times of the year.

21. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I fully agree with Mapledia. I would also like to confirm the excellent resistance to full sun. I planted mine 3 years ago in a sloped raised bed receiving sun the entire day ( and the afternoon sun is hot here!) and has not shown any trace of leaf burn. Also I'd like to point out I have not noticed watering needs different from any other pseudoplatanus cultivars.

Gomero

22. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

According to this blog post (Sandra's Garden),

"John Wills, who developed Trelinnoe Park near Napier, introduced two new maples (sycamores) to the nursery trade in New Zealand – Acer pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset' and A. pseudoplatanus 'Esk Flamingo'. Both were chance seedlings he found in the 12ha garden, which is in the Esk Valley. Former Cambridge nurseryman Peter Cave, now retired to Raglan, helped get a supply of trees going."​

23. Ron B

Similar human interactions appear to be common with cultivar histories. The United States Patent and Trademark Office descriptions of patented plants use the terms Inventor and Assignee to differentiate the two different roles; pretty often both are filled, with the Inventor being an individual (or a few individuals) and the Assignee being a nursery company or affiliated person, such as a nursery owner.

It also seems pretty usual for third party references to call someone introducing the plant the originator, or to use inadequate terms like "from" that don't indicate which they are.

24. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

thanks for this news about origin of this lovely cultivar i buy one five years ago ,is slow growing 10 cm/year . very nice variegation but,best is under leaves colors!! !the expo in my garden is open sun, and no leaves burned

Attached Files:

25. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks also for this excellent clarification. I'll report that my little tree, also planted in 2008, is like Alex's very slow growing. In addition, at least here, it is not at all drought tolerant, unlike other cultivars, even variegated. Under drought conditions the top leaves dry up and go brown. This may of course be down to the individual plant.