Acer pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mendocinomaples, Apr 20, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Leaves emerge a brilliant shrimp-pink-orange in the spring and change to a lime green in the summer. A slow growing tree to about 10 feet in height. Needs protection from hot sun. Yellow fall color.

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

my Brillantissimun very nice!date of photo 12/04/2007 my garden in Fara Sabina Italy

Attached Files:

3. interactbiz

interactbiz Active Member

My acer pseudoplatanus brilliantissimum is now about 12 feet tall. When it was smaller, it was my absolute favourite tree in the spring. I don't know if it is because of soil conditions, weather or maturity but the tree doesn't put on the show of pink leaves that it did when younger. Leaves still unfold with the beautiful pink shade but they rapidly turn light green. Anyone else have similar experience?

Attached Files:

4. alex66

yes ,i see the pink young leaves ,after fertilize with Osmocote for acidd plants..
    my soil is neutral the position is full sun..
    for me prune is necessary

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi interactbiz, did your brilliantissimum ever keep its pink throughout the season? I've never seen one that did. Mine certainly doesn't, and around now it looks just like yours. The pink lasts a couple of weeks. New leaves from the second flush are less pink.

I have 2 other "pure pink" cultivars, "Puget Pink" and "Miracle Rose." The latter is the darkest pink of all leafing out, I find Puget Pink disappointing. After a few weeks both of these resemble each other a lot, a sort of whitish green with reticulation, I consider them inferior to Brilliantissimum.

I also use Osmocote and I have acid soil. I don't think pruning is necessary for good performance with Brilliantissimum, at least not for me, but this is a proven way to get stronger colors in sycamores.

Actually Simon Louis Freres holds its pink better than any of the pure pink ones!

-E

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Puget Pink' originated from seedlings of 'Prinz Handjery' grown at Heronswood nursery, Kingston, WA. I believe the nursery may have sold more than one seedling under the 'Puget Pink' name, rather than just a single clonal selection - there was a batch of them raised that all came pretty much true-to-type. To find out now what, exactly was distributed as 'Puget Pink' it would probably be necessary to contact D. Hinkley via his web site, if possible. I think maybe I was told both a clone was propagated and sold as well as sister seedlings, but I don't remember for sure now.

A certain wholesale nursery in Oregon also distributed 'Prinz Handjery' for some years as 'Brilliantissimum', and may still do so. I did not obtain the true item until I purchased it from the F.W. Byles Co. here in WA. It has grown very slowly but has also maintained the pink coloring. 'Prinz Handjery' (and 'Puget Pink') are probably more tough and vigorous but the leaf color effect of these is detracted from by the purple undersides.

7. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

the variegated pseudo's like Prinz Handjery, Leopoldii, Nizetii, Esk Sunset, variegatum,
    Patchwork, Simon Louis Frere etc. are some of my favorities variegates. the variegation occurs every year and varies leaf to leaf. the leaves alway remind me of
    a Jackson Pollack canvas where someone splashed white/yellow paint everywhere.

8. alex66

Simon Louis Frères' new leaves..

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      162.2 KB
      Views:
  9. emery

Nice post, thanks Ron. Very interesting to hear the history of Puget Pink. It sounds as if it is not really a true cultivar at all; really a questionable practice. Without years of evaluation, how can you say that all the seedlings will grow with the same habit, to the same height, and keep the same coloration? It seems almost inevitable that there is variation.

My Puget Pink, like Alex and my Brilliantissimum, comes from Esveld. I am thus very confident about the Brilliantissimum being true to type -- although it sounds as if the Puget Pink could be almost anything: it certainly resembles Prinz Handjery. Do I understand correctly you're saying your Brilliantissimum keeps its pink color throughout the season? Mine lasted about 4 weeks, which I thought pretty good (and better than the other pure pinks). But I have never seen one that was pink in august.,,

The purple leaf underside (of Prinz etc) tends to give the leaves more of a pastel look; whether this is desirable is of course a matter of taste, but it does help protect against sunburn a little bit. So as such it might be a good feature in some situations, and I think this is why Prinz (also faster growing) has become more popular.

I'm with Katsura, I love the variegated sycamores. I planted Esk Sunset, but so far it is barely distinguishable from Brigada Revolution, and as far as I can tell from pictures, Patchwork. That won't stop me from planting all of them though. I can stare at the leaves for many long minutes... Interesting to me that these grow well in Novato: seems like it would be too hot in the summer. (Great climate, I have a friend who lived there, (now moved to Napa) and have fond memories of more than a few BBQs.)

-E

10. Ron B

'Brilliantissimum' has stayed true-to-type here with a lingering pink rather than going quickly to yellow-and-green. It does not remain pink all summer.

11. interactbiz

I provide two pictures of the Brilliantissimum showing growth from Aug 2003 to May 2008. The pink leaf photos that I posted earlier in this thread were taken May 2008. The ones here are 3 years ago.

Each of the last 2 years, we seem to get reduced show from the new leaves. They still emerge salmon pink but turn green within a day or so. The leaves used to hold pink for 1 to 2 weeks and so the overall effect was more dramatic.

I'm wondering if that is inevitable as the tree growns more mature or if it could be the result of low light spring(s) or perhaps need for soil nutrients.

The tree gets only filtered sun but it used to have more shade than presently. Removal of other trees allows more light now than what it got 5 or 6 years ago.

Attached Files:

12. RAS

RAS Member

Emery's comment above:
    "The purple leaf underside (of Prinz etc) tends to give the leaves more of a pastel look; whether this is desirable is of course a matter of taste, but it does help protect against sunburn a little bit. So as such it might be a good feature in some situations, and I think this is why Prinz (also faster growing) has become more popular"

You hit right on the essence. I now have more than a few in my collection, and the "Puget Pink"? I have with the unusal purple underside truly stands out in the landscape like no other.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  13. interactbiz

In years past, I've posted photos of my Acer Pseudoplatanus Brilliantissimum on this thread. Because we are planning to rebuild the nearby attached garage to add second floor living space, the tree must be removed.

It's now around 20' in height. That should be fairly close to mature height. A current photo is attached.

I hate to simply cut the tree down and would rather see it moved to another property if anyone is interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  14. alex66

very nice:)

15. Ron B

If that tall would be the biggest one I know of in the region. In recent years I have been having problems with a blister mite or similar covering the leaves with red bumps. These are quite a detraction.

16. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I've had this one for 4 years now and tbh it has been slow to take, but this Spring 2020 I saw it's lovely soft apricot in the foliage for the first time properly.
    So if you buy one of these, do please be patient with it.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

September 9th 2020 and my Brilliantissimum is in Autumn colours, plus leaves turning brown and dropping. But the yellows that are there are pretty.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  18. Acerholic

12th October 2020 and after a difficult Summer with strong drying winds for my Brilliantissimum, I have only a little to show, but really not very much. These last couple of leaves will fall in the next few days.

Attached Files:

19. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Oh man, look at those buds!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Is that a new acquisition D ? If so you will love it.

21. LoverOfMaples

Yes it is.

22. LoverOfMaples

Updates: 2 day difference is amazing

20210409_171806.jpg

20210411_090008.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

The Spring colour of this tree is what it is all about, mine is about two weeks behind yours D. So I will enjoy yours and then post mine later for you.

24. Acerholic

24th April 2021, literally moments ago, my Brilliantissimum started to open before my eyes, so I wanted to post it on this photo diary.
    Brilliantissimum 201.JPG

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  25. emery

A few pictures of 'Brilliantissimum' leafing out on 27 April. This old cultivar (Clark, 1905) remains justly popular. It suits smaller gardens well with very slow growth and a bushy habit that responds well to cutting back. Larger trees like this one are typically grafted as a standard. It is difficult to capture the shrimp-pink color, which fades more quickly in shade.

IMG_20210427_182119_v1.jpg IMG_20210427_182145_v1.jpg IMG_20210427_182213_v1.jpg IMG_20210427_182227_v1.jpg

LoverOfMaples, Acerholic and Nik like this.