Acer pictum 'Shufu nishiki'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by alex66, Mar 1, 2009.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

beautiful maple by www.malletcourt.co.uk/
    i prefer old name acer Mono Shufu nishiki like is write in catalogue of the nursery,however i accept pictum;-))))

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      112.6 KB
      Views:
  2. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Re: acer Pictum Shufu nishiki

I am confused about 'Shufu nishiki'. alex's lovely picture above is very different from 'Shufu
    nishiki' mono/truncatum which in Maples of the World is listed as the same as 'Akikaze nishiki' which
    is a white on green variegate confirmed by plate 203 picture. To add to the confusion Yano in
    Book for Maples has a palmatum 'Shufu nishiki' (seedling of 'Kasen nishiki') which is a lovely
    variegate which I wud love to get but have never seen. This all seems hopelessly muddled.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Mike, there seems to be some confusion generally around the name. The just-released "World Checklist" has pictum 'Shufu nishiki' as _maybe_ synonymous with pictum 'Akikaze nishiki.' It lists Yano's palmatum from 2002 as Shufuki nishiki! There is additionally a rufinerve Shufu nishiki which is synonymous with 'Albolimatum!' Phew.

One thing we all seem clear on is that Shufu nishiki, and Akikase nishiki, belong under pictum and not truncatum.

In the spring 2008 Maple Society newsletter Vol 18/1, Hisao Nakajima writes:

"In November 1882, it was decided to use specific Chinese Characters for 'Akikase nishiki.' In some later reference books it was pronounced differently. However it is the same plant and it is better to use the pronunciation 'Akikase nishiki' to avoid confusion with the 'Shufu nishiki.' The word "akikase" means "an autumn breeze" and "nishiki" means 'variegated.' "

The article does not explore Shufu nishiki further, but the implication is that it is a different plant.

Alex, I look forward to some more pictures as the season progresses!

-E

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i have truncatum A. nishiki too and i see evident different :
    1)form of the leaves,
    2)trunk in the Mono S. nishiki is similar to Cappadocium
    recentely i visited some Holland nursery and i see that cultivar change if the rootstock is different ,for es.rubescens Millecent graft on pensylvanicum,is different if is graft on davidii,i presume that muddled is for this osservation;another: i have capillipes var. morrifolium Wakisaka nishiki by Esveld,for Mr .Guy Maillot is truncatum var. morrifolium Wakisaka nishiki .
    ciao
    Alex

5. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

emery & alex,
    thanks to both of you for above, and alex, that is fascinating about the obvious & visible
    differences of the named scions on the different rootstocks. if you cud ever get some pics,
    alex, please post them. thanks
    mike