Acer palmatum 'Wilsons Pink Dwarf'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, Mar 28, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Two recent photos between rain hail thunder and lightning!

Attached Files:

Backcountry Dan and zfrittz like this.
  2. PoorOwner

PoorOwner Active Member 10 Years

size 2 plant

Often critized by most as being too big and remain a boring green most of the year. Wilson's Pink Dwarf is one of my favorites.

One of the first to leaf out in spring, and a colorful one at that. Bright red color slowly fades to pink, then green. The leaf size is small enough to be give a interesting texture when it turns green.

Purchased as one gallon plant last year, seems to grow very fast.

Attached Files:

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Placed against dark background, it really stands out

Gomero

Attached Files:

4. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This has been a good dependable plant for me. It is certainly a standout in the spring, but on most days I cannot tell it from Akaji nishiki. The frist two photos are from spring 2005 when we had it planted in the ground at our old home and the thrid picture was taken a few days ago, 2006, of the same plant in a large container.

All things considered, it is a semi-dwarf, not a dwarf, but pretty strictly upright with a typical narrow vase type shape.

Attached Files:

5. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

my tree this spring

Mike

Attached Files:

6. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Another great tree for spring color

Attached Files:

7. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is mine with spring color for 2012

Attached Files:

8. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Wilsons Pink Dwarf' Spring Colors

Here is my Wilsons Pink Dwarf showing its spring colors this year.

Attached Files:

9. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'Wilsons Pink Dwarf' Spring Colors

Beautiful!! How big/old is it?

Unfortunately, I think my little guy may be on his way out - anyone care to confirm or refute my suspicions? (Hopefully the latter...)

Attached Files:

10. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is the Wilson Pink Dwarf in my garden. The one picture above post #6 lost all its leaves this year and looks dead just as the one pictured here did the year before. I like the tree but have had issues with it.

Attached Files:

• 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      227.7 KB
      Views:
    • 049.jpg
      049.jpg
      File size:
      124 KB
      Views:
    • 050.jpg
      050.jpg
      File size:
      124.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
    zfrittz likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Acer palmatum 'Wilson's Pink Dwarf'. This tree is oh so pretty but oh so delicate in almost all positions in my garden. A bit like Taylor but not quite as difficult.
    I would definitely reccomend as long as you have a sheltered position with a lot of dappled shade. It does not like wind either.
    I see a lot of these in pots on hot patios, only to shrivel and die. Do not do this.
    Here are a few photos of mine if you are tempted. Last one in the rain in June 2020 after the immense heat.

Attached Files:

D97x7, Xi-feng, zfrittz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Acerholic

This is my Wilson's pink dwarf on the 28th July 2020. I can't believe I have not posted this very pretty cultivar before now. Partial shade for this one is the best placing.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  13. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

D, as you say don't keep these in containers they will struggle to survive let alone show any decent colours, mine this year in the ground now for must be 10 years ? This year it's the best i have ever seen it, just putting out lots of second flush leaf at present and they do show lovely fall colours as well which seem to get forgotten about. This is to be lifted as well this year it's getting to big now.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, is it because the air is cleaner due to lockdown that we are all getting wonderful colours and good second flush !!!??? I'll take it whatever the reason. Lovely tree M.

15. Acerholic

August 2nd 2020, early morning sun and my Wilson's pink dwarf was glowing, so thought I would add a photo.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  16. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    I was not expecting to post a nice picture of my Wilson's pink dwarf after so much heat, but here is one !!! A surprising year !!!!!!

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  17. Acerholic

22nd August 2020 and my Wilson's pink dwarf is loving all the rain. Such a cute little cultivar IMO.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  18. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    Such a cheerful little tree is my Wilson's pink dwarf. Always brings a smile to my face. Which is especially important this year. Hope it does the same for everybody else.

Attached Files:

zfrittz and Mani like this.
  19. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    Now the colours are coming through on my Wilson's pink dwarf. Transition has begun!!!

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  20. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    New growth!!? There certainly is!! Mixed with my Autumnal colours this is so weired. But so pleasing to the eye.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  21. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Wilson's pink dwarf. As requested I have today shown both the new growth and the old leaf together. Hope that is of help.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

17th September 2020 and the colours are making a big appearance now.
    Although my Wilson's pink dwarf is still putting out new leaves, a very strange year indeed.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. Autumn equinox two days away and the photo of my Wilson's pink dwarf shows my concern.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

24th September 2020 and Autumn has really hit home quickly. Cold nights and lots of rain already. But raindrops on colourful leaves is why Autumn is a favorite for so many of us Maple enthusiasts.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

4th April 2021 and over 6 months since my last posting on my Wilson's pink dwarf. It has some lovely pink buds swelling that one expects from this cultivar. Had lots of pruning in February, so it is quite a small tree atm.
    Wilsons pink dwarf 177.JPG