Acer palmatum 'Westonbirt Spreading Star'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have had this cultivar since 2018 after seeing it at the named arboretum.
    It does very well in a lot of sun and is a fast grower, so if you are considering buying this one do give it space. It forms a wonderful mound shape, as can be seen in my photo.
    Here is my July 9th 2020 photo.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  2. Acerholic

July 28th 2020 and my Westonbirt Spreading Star is nearly all it's Summer colours now. A little of Spring is still holding on. New growth still occurring also.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  3. Acerholic

August 5th 2020 and my Westonbirt Spreading Star is colouring up fast now. Rather early IMO, but not complaining. I do hope though it doesn't mean an early Autumn drop of leaves.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  4. Acerholic

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    23rd August 2020 and now the changes start.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  5. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and my Westonbirt Spreading Star now has those pinks and lime greens mixing to make a lovly early Autumn show.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  6. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    Just 5 days on and this is how my Westonbirt Spreading Star has changed.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  7. Acerholic

18th September 2020 and a picture of the whole tree as requsted yesterday.
    The mix of colours on my Westonbirt Spreading Star makes this a welcome sight first thing in the morning in my garden.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

13th October 2020 and one of my favourites that has the famous Westonbirt name. It really does spread btw.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

18th October 2020 and my Westonbirt Spreading Star is a tree I can never get enough of.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

20th October 2020 and everything is moving along now. Colours emerging every day. IMO this is just so pretty.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

5th April 2021 and I am looking forward so much this season to my Westonbirt Spreading Star doing well. It needs room if you are thinking about this one for your garden. It spreads 'very' quickly !!
    Westonbirt spreading star180.JPG

12. Acerholic

24th April 2021 and a lot has happened in the garden over the past few weeks. Constant overnight frosts and it's looking like record dry weather fir Spring. But my Westonbirt Spreading Star is now underway. Lots of interest in this, so I will keep updating.
    Westonbirt Spreading Star 210.JPG

13. Acerholic

14th June 2021 and my Westonbirt Spreading Star is looking so green now. It did take some time to leaf out, but as per usual this maple is strong and can handle anything the weather throws at it.
    Westonbirt spreading star 266.JPG Westonbirt spreading star 265.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  14. Acerholic

24th April 2022 and a new season eventually gets underway for my Westonbirt Spreading Star. Worth the wait though.
    Westonbirt Spreading Star April 24th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  15. Acerholic

18th May 2022 and my Westonbirt Spreading Star has done well over the last month.
    Westonbirt Spreading Star 18th May 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  16. Acerholic

16th November 2022 and my Westonbirt Spreading Star didn't grow very much this year in all the heat, but it's done OK.
    I'm very pleased with the colours this morning.
    Westonbirt Spreading Star 16th November 2022.JPG Westonbirt Spreading Star 16th November 2022 (2).JPG

17. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

The first photo reminds me of 'Shishigashira'. Is those the new leaves D?

18. Acerholic

Yes D, they were very different this year after the long Summer drought. It will be interesting to see how the coming Spring leaves are.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  19. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

It would be pretty cool if it is a sport :0)

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Yes definitely, but these leaves were from a second flush in late September, so not holding my breath on that one Lol.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  21. Acerholic

7th November 2023 and my Westonbirt Spreading Star giving a nice Autumnal show this morning.
    PXL_20231107_093100391.jpg