Acer palmatum 'Westonbirt Orange'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have had this only a year, so this is my first photo of Acer palmatum 'Westonbirt Orange '. It has come through the Winter 2019-20 very well indeed.
    It was planted in the ground last Autumn and did not suffer any setbacks at all.
    The hint of the Orange is just starting to show today (July 2020) as you can see in my first two photos.
    It was absolutely stunning leafing out in March, as hopefully you will agree in my first photo.
    Looking forward to the display this one gives in just a few months time.
    I will update the thread.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

This is the Summer colour of my Westonbirt Orange today 9th July 2020. It's starting to turn.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

27th July 2020, photo of the leaf close up to show the orange really coming through, ready for that burst of colour in September.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

1st August 2020, just 4 days since my last photo. Look at those orange colours appearing now.

Attached Files:

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I'd like to see a photo of the whole tree if you have the time.

6. Acerholic

@Margot, here it is Margot. Not big by any means, but it is doing well.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Lovely - especially in contrast with the two on either side.

8. Acerholic

@Margot, thankyou Margot, it is Orange Dream on the left and Anne Irene on the right. In case you wanted to know the names.

Margot likes this.
  9. Acerholic

12th August 2020 still very hot and in fact yesterday was the hottest I've ever seen in my garden. Ground temperature hit 48° C by my trees.
    They are all now suffering. But I will continue the Summer diary as requested.
    The Orange is getting better and better each and every day. Heat is not affecting this tree.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    So many people asking about this cultivar atm, the rain has definatly paused the change in colours. But the many shades are making it even more interesting IMO.
    Further update in a few days !!!!

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    Just 24 hrs and the colours are changing almost in front of my eyes. Further updates will follow to those who have requested this.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    These are so pretty now, very Autumnal IMO.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    So many requests, so here it is. Does it live up to its name !!? You bet it does !!!

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    'It's transformation time'.
    Those reds will turn to a mixture of reddish orange in just a couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

17th September 2020 and the colours are making a big appearance. Westonbirt orange is very colourful right now.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

22nd September 2020 and tbe Autum Equinox is here and so are the changes. All this on one tree !!!

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

October 6th 2020 and very wet, but with early morning sunshine it is making my maples look rather pretty IMO. More reds this year atm on my Westonbirt orange, but I'm sure it will change very soon.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

13th October 2020, orange you say !!!? Thats red or dark pink. But this is how it goes every year and then all of a sudden it's a bright orange.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

22nd October 2020, my Westonbirt orange is giving lots of colour now, but still not the colours I would expect. This year is a strange one !!!

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

24th April 2021 and my first for the season of my Westonbirt orange.. only just starting but worth the wait.
    Westonbirt Orange 201.JPG

21. Acerholic

8th May 2021 and as can be seen, it is a very slow start this year in Southern England. But start it is and my Westonbirt orange is well underway at last.
    Westonbirt Orange 220.JPG

Margot likes this.
  22. Acerholic

24th May 2021 and I wanted to add this today after a member was asking about the darkest greens atm. So here is my darkest. For today anyway...
    Westonbirt Orange 239.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  23. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Very nice D, alas my little memento of my visit to Westonbirt didn't make it through the first winter I had it, it was purchased in autumn with one leaf still on and that was the only one it ever had, still never mind it's a good excuse to visit again, not that an excuse is really needed.

24. Acerholic

That's such a shame N, but as we all know seedlings are often a 50/50 if they get past the first three years.
    So an excuse to visit is in the plans for you this Autumn for more seed ?? As you say though, who needs an excuse to visit that wonderful place.

25. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Yes I there's a good chance of it, I have a few friends who'd like to come this time as well, it'd be a good day out.