Acer palmatum 'Villa Taranto'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Apr 21, 2005.

1. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Ah yes, it does sound like I've fallen into that trap, I think mine is grafted.
    Thank you for setting me straight.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

No worries, you've got a great maple. Whatever it's called! :)

D97x7 likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

30th October 2020 and after the chat about the colours of Villa Taranto here is mine this morning now turning. Very wet I know as I expect @D97x7 is down in Somerset. Hope the levels aren't getting too waterlogged !!!?

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  4. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Oh we're alright at the moment, thanks.

5. Acerholic

6th November 2020 and when I went out into my garden as the sun came up I had to take a photo of my Villa Taranto glowing in the bright sunshine and then thought, 'why not share it '

Attached Files:

emery and D97x7 like this.
  6. Acerholic

28th March 2021 and why shouldn't this cultivar have a look in. It doesn't get too much attention in early Spring and IMO it should. I have some aphids to deal with later as can be seen. It's warming up !!!
    Villa Taranto 713.JPG

zfrittz likes this.
  7. Acerholic

10th April 2021 and now the fun begins. Villa Taranto is a maple that unfurls with elegance and panache.
    I'll let my photo do the talking. Hope you agree.
    Villa Taranto 184.JPG

8. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Lovely D. I remember last spring when mine came out. It is such a bright green that almost glows. I love this one!

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Thanks Luke, looks like they are all underway now. Btw the weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow looks like it's dropping to 0°. Just a friendly reminder for your collection if you want to do anything to protect them.

10. Acerholic

1st May 2021 has to be the coldest Mayday I've ever known. But my Villa Taranto has said, "here I am, to heck with the frosts".
    Villa Taranto 210.JPG

11. Acerholic

27th May 2021 and now my Villa Taranto is showing the colours that make this a standout cultivar.
    Villa Taranto 242.JPG

12. Acerholic

18th June 2021 just as the rain started, I took this photo to show how my Villa Taranto is coming along. It is a bit sparse but getting there at last.
    Villa Taranto 271.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  13. Acerholic

5th April 2022 and my Villa Taranto is showing good promise this season. I hope to post more very soon of this cultivar. Could be a good year for this one.
    Villa Taranto April 2022.JPG

14. Acerholic

15th April and 10 days on shows some better development of the leaves on my Villa Taranto.
    Villa Taranto 14th April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  15. Richard Beasley

Richard Beasley New Member

'Villa Taranto' question
    The tree is 16 year old, about a years ago I retrieved it from a shaddy location and placed it in full sun last year before it leafed out. Last spring some of its leaves come out to be that of a regular palmatum as in group 1. I was hoping it would revert to its classic linearilobum leaf this spring buy no. Not all of the tree has reverted mainly only in the upper portion.
    This tree is now going into its second year of full sun and I see no change. Should I trim out the stems with the palmate leaves and only keep the stems that produces the linearilobum leaf pattern. When looking at the pictures the damage you may see is from a frost. Can you see the pictures OK. I would appreciate your help, Regards to all Rich

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Good evening Rich welcome to the maples forum. Regardung your Villa Taranto, yes you should remove the palmate leaves and branching to encourage the linearlobum leaves. It is a practice that is carried out by us all especially with variegated maples. The leaves are now mature enough to do this safely.

17. Richard Beasley

Oh thank you so much!

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

5th May 2022 and my Villa Taranto is now out and showing it's best.
    Villa Taranto May 5th 20222.JPG

19. Acerholic

10th May 2022 and I wanted to show that new leaves are often slightly red or orange on the linearlobum types.
    Villa Taranto May 10th 2022.JPG

20. Acerholic

20th May 2022 and the early sun shining brightly on my Villa Taranto.
    Villa Taranto May 20th 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  21. Acerholic

8th June 2022 and early Summer here in Southern England. Lots of rain and temperatures below the seasonal average, makes for perfect conditions for my Villa Taranto.
    Villa Taranto 8th June 2022 (2).JPG Villa Taranto 8th June 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

9th November 2023 and my Villa Taranto doing ok this year, but the colours are more mellow than in previous Autumns.
    PXL_20231109_123648207.jpg

23. Acerholic

13th Alril 2024 and my Villa Taranto just about visible with its new leaves.
    PXL_20240413_135539448.jpg

Richard Beasley and D97x7 like this.
  24. Richard Beasley

This Villa Taranto is 18 years old in a bit to much sun.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.