Acer palmatum 'Umegae'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, May 4, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Small mounding tree to 12' depending on soil, climate and culture. Nice red fall color.

Attached Files:

2. neko musume

neko musume Active Member 10 Years

hello,

this is my first spring with this umegae, which i am thinking has to be at least three years old.

when it first began leafing out with pale green hairy leaves, it had me wondering what tree i actually had.

it's now been a couple of weeks and with full sun until 2 pm, the leaves are progressing toward a burgundy color.

i'm also surprised at the amount of "flowers" it has on display, but am still a bit concerned as they seem to be weighing down the ends of the young shoots.

thanks for looking ! ^_^

n. musume

Attached Files:

3. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I prefer the olive green coloring of this tree in shade, I think. In sun it's coming out almost identical to Tsukushigata.

It's a very tiny tree at this point, though...one of the smallest "two year grafts" I've ever received, in fact, and only now putting on serious growth after two years in the ground. We'll see what happens as it ages--

Attached Files:

4. maplesmagpie

Photos from May, end of July, and mid-August. This tree shows a lot of variation in color, depending on the light levels. It never gets as dark as Tsukushigata, which turns almost black-green in the summer, but it does go through a drab bronze-green. I'm not sure I like its summer colors, but I do like the lighter veins. We'll give it a few more years in its current spot (full sun), but if it keeps coloration like this I think it will end up in a pot and give up its garden position to a cultivar with better summer color.

Attached Files:

5. maplesmagpie

One more from June of this year--

Attached Files:

6. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

This maple interests me, I hesitate to buy it ..., does anyone have more pictures?
    similar to the variety "ruby stars" ???

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Bonsoir, Hi, Dobry wieczor, Guten abend, Buena sera, etc.

Remember here most members prefer using English! ;-)
    Example (exemple), using DeepL :
    I'm interested in this maple, I'm hesitant to buy it..., does anyone have more pictures?

Not perfect, but those you will read it will say "what a lovely French accent" - for those who relate printed words with what they can hear...

Anyway : apparently it can still be ordered from :

Acer amoenum UMEGAE de Maillot-Erable - La boutique MAILLOT-ERABLE

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  8. Romain01

yes sorry, I corrected the message!
    I bought this variety from Maillot, a little known and under-rated variety! let's wait for spring !!!

AlainK likes this.
  9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Er... not ten minutes ago. <LOL> <MDR> You can't edit your messages after a certain time, you posted on Saturday, but never mind. "Anglos" (as my friends from Québec would call them, not sure this is very friendly) will always prefer a kind of broken English to French, which a lot of them in the east are not that familiar with. The "Lingua franca" now is any form of English, like it or not, that's the way it is...

Anyway we're waiting for the photos of the tree you've bought as it is now, and how it will look in late March...

10. Romain01

"Umegae" was discovered in Japan around 1882. Spring color is a deep red/ brown , summer it becomes bronze green and the fall a very nice orange with some scarlet mixed in … the branches are green and lend great contrast…

Attached Files:

AlainK, Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I am so pleased to see yet another very old thread resurrected with photos of the tree. This is a lovely cultivar and it will be a pleasure to follow here Romain.

Romain01 likes this.
  12. Romain01

some pictures with these summer colors! the leaves are less dark and a light yellow comes with all that!
    umegae 1.jpg umegae 2.jpg umegae 3.jpg

AlainK, Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  13. Romain01