Identification: Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo'?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lois Bloom, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Lois Bloom

Lois Bloom Member

Here are photos of a plant that I bought and planted as an 'Ukigumo' in 2004 but it does not have the mottling and as much white as some of the other photos posted to this thread. It is growing in dappled shade with early morning sun. I am hoping that someone can confirm or disconfirm the identification.

Attached Files:

2. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo'

My initial impression is that this cultivar is not 'Ukigumo' and is probably mislabeled. Can't tell for sure, but it might be 'Beni Shichihenge' which is also a nice acquisition.

3. Lois Bloom

Lois Bloom Member

Yes, I think you are right. I actually bought two plants from Allen Haskell that day and evidently confused the labels! Now to try to determine what the other tree is that I had thought was Beni --will work on that. It is not nearly as dramatic a tree (but still very nice), and so I am not sure I have good photos. Many thanks.

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I don't know about you, but it just makes me crazy when these cultivars are mislabeled, which happens pretty often. I would say that about 5% of the plants I purchase turn out to have a different identity from what their labels indicate, and so then I have to try to search out the proper name for the newly-acquired trees in my garden. I still have a couple "mystery maples" purchased years ago, and I don't have a clue about whether they even have a name. So Mystery Maple will just have to suffice. Happy gardening.

5. Lois Bloom

Lois Bloom Member

Or perhaps it belongs in the 'Beni Shichihenge' thread?

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

Trying to keep the identification requests, as such, out of the Photo Gallery threads and in the main area of the forum. Having said that, if you want to repost the pics in the 'Beni Shichihenge' thread then go ahead, the ID seems solid.

(Note for clarity - the original discussion was moved from the 'Ukigumo' gallery.)