Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

24th September 2020 and Autumn has really hit home quickly. Cold nights and lots of rain already. But raindrops on colourful leaves is why Autumn is a favorite for so many of us Maple enthusiasts.
    'Ukigumo', what a special tree !!!!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

1st October 2020 and I can now say that my Ukigumo has gone the whole gardening season giving great colour and interest.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

11th October 2020 and I was wondering if I should add this today, but I wanted to show the budding amongst the leaves that are for the first time this season showing some age.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

15th October 2020 and still giving out to the last. But as can be seen, some are going over now. But a wonderful year for Ukigumo in my garden.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

24th October 2020 and people might say 'really', "is this honestly Ukigumo today". The answer is a resounding YES. A fantastic year for this cultivar.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

8th April 2021 and my first posting of my Ukigumo for this year. My hope is it's as good as 2020, which was a very good year for this tree. So here we go....
    Ukigumo 182.JPG

7. Acerholic

23rd April 2021 and I wanted to show that this cultivar in my garden that is zone 8b, doesn't leaf out early. But it's on the way today.
    Ukigumo 191.JPG

8. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

My little Ukigumo, please excuse the wooden barriers, they're to stop the dogs charging through.
    IMG_20210505_083257.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Cup of coffee in hand next to a lovely Ukigumo would be very nice N !! I like where you have planted it for full appreciation of those lovely pink/ whites.

D97x7 likes this.
  10. D97x7

Looking beautiful this morning after the wind and rain
    IMG_20210509_092539.jpg

And even his brother is waking up
    IMG_20210509_092530.jpg

11. Acerholic

Good morning N, they are both looking good. Can I ask how far behind are they this year compared to last where you are? I'm about 3-4 weeks behind on everything here in Hampshire.

12. D97x7

Good morning D, I'm not sure really, the one that's out I only purchased last year so didn't own it at this time. The older one is definitely later although I'm again not sure by how much, sorry.

13. Acerholic

Thanks N, it was just a moment of thought at how late we are in the UK this year compared to other countries due to the coldest April in 60 years.
    Looks like you are going to have lovely pair of twin Ukigumo' s for years to come. Either side of the chair maybe ?

D97x7 likes this.
  14. D97x7

That would have been a good idea, just didn't think of that. I only bought the second one as it was just too beautiful to resist, then when I got home I didn't know where exactly to plant it lol, so after a bit of thought I decided to put it in place of an Osakazuki that I lost due to a hot ash incident, thinking that two together would make more of an impact being as they seem to be pretty slow growing.

15. Acerholic

So many of us are put off for some reason placing the same maples next to each other, but IMO doing so can make quite an impact, as you have already done N. It is great fun experimenting with placements !!

D97x7 likes this.
  16. D97x7

I do like a bit of Ukigumo in the mornings. ResizerImage1600X2400.jpg

Nik, Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

And so do I N. So thanks for sharing.

D97x7 likes this.
  18. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

'Ukigumo' survived the winter and seem to be doing well in the spot I picked for it.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  19. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Enjoying this morning's rain:

Attached Files:

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  20. Acerholic

Mine is enjoying the rain atm Xi, photo to follow tomorrow.
    Yours is looking a very happy tree. So much variegation.

Xi-feng likes this.
  21. Acerholic

16th May 2021 and as promised here is my Ukigumo now leafed out for this season.
    Ukigumo 228.JPG Ukigumo 229.JPG

22. D97x7

My second one has almost caught up with the first now. They are actually slightly different, one seems to be green branched the other red, whether they'll even out only time will tell. IMG_20210516_094101.jpg IMG_20210516_094056.jpg IMG_20210516_094110.jpg

23. Acerholic

One definitely has more of the pink variegation than the other N. Brother and Sister maybe???lol.
    They are so pretty together. I like them a lot.
    On that note, have you seen the new thread I've just created on 'Olivia'?
    Acer palmatum 'Olivia'
    This was initially 'Ukigumo nishiki', but now renamed as Acer palmatum 'Olivia' by Hippopottering.
    It is in it's way to me this week, a gift from my wife that I found out about this morning. I like surprises like this, lol.
    Anyway, it is a dwarf version and heat tolerant according to Hippo.
    It will be an interesting one.

24. D97x7

Yes I spotted that D, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

25. Acerholic

Oh yes N, I will enjoy posting some and especially in the heat of the Summer.

D97x7 likes this.