Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo Nishiki' or Olivia

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi everyone, does anybody have any experience with Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo Nishiki '
    I have Ukigumo and when I saw this advertised in a brocade form, I was very interested.
    The trouble is I see no difference in the photos to my Ukigumo.

I have just seen that Ukigumo Nishiki is being re named 'Olivia'. Which is quite strange as there is already an Olivia.

Any thoughts or experience with this one would be greatly appreciated.

2. emery

emery Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think it's just a synonym for 'Ukigumo'. Not listed in the 2008 checklist, but I believe I've seen it (and maybe even bought mine) under this name. "Nishiki" means variegated most commonly, I'd guess "brocade" is being used in this sense? That's how Vertrees has it.

3. Acerholic

Thanks Emery, it's just that Hippopotering are selling both, Ukigumo and Ukigumo Nishiki. They are saying it's a new cultivar, hence my asking.
    Not sure about the Olivia naming though!!!

4. emery

emery Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Pat is always happy to help, though I believe she's off camping at the mo'. I'd ask her what it's all about!

5. Acerholic

Thanks Emery, yes I know that's why I thought I would ask here.
    Hippopotering are always very helpful.

6. Acerholic

At last I have the answer to this new cultivar. I have taken this from Hippopottering web site. It is not a synonym of Ukigumo and it is also being re named as Acer palmatum 'Olivia'. Will I try it !!!? Probably, Lol.
    Olivia is a superb dwarf version of the white tree that we know as Ukigumo, Our 15 year old tree is only 3ft tall so will light up any small space. What is the difference between Olivia and Ukigumo (the floating cloud maple), we ask. Well apart from being a dwarf maple, it grows in shelf layers. A true japanese shape and has a stronger growing habit and when older, never tends to burn. It remains white with a hint of P!NK throughout the season.

BlackMaple likes this.