Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo Nishiki' or Olivia

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi everyone, does anybody have any experience with Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo Nishiki '
    I have Ukigumo and when I saw this advertised in a brocade form, I was very interested.
    The trouble is I see no difference in the photos to my Ukigumo.

I have just seen that Ukigumo Nishiki is being re named 'Olivia'. Which is quite strange as there is already an Olivia.

Any thoughts or experience with this one would be greatly appreciated.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think it's just a synonym for 'Ukigumo'. Not listed in the 2008 checklist, but I believe I've seen it (and maybe even bought mine) under this name. "Nishiki" means variegated most commonly, I'd guess "brocade" is being used in this sense? That's how Vertrees has it.

3. Acerholic

Thanks Emery, it's just that Hippopotering are selling both, Ukigumo and Ukigumo Nishiki. They are saying it's a new cultivar, hence my asking.
    Not sure about the Olivia naming though!!!

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Pat is always happy to help, though I believe she's off camping at the mo'. I'd ask her what it's all about!

5. Acerholic

Thanks Emery, yes I know that's why I thought I would ask here.
    Hippopotering are always very helpful.

6. Acerholic

At last I have the answer to this new cultivar. I have taken this from Hippopottering web site. It is not a synonym of Ukigumo and it is also being re named as Acer palmatum 'Olivia'. Will I try it !!!? Probably, Lol.
    Olivia is a superb dwarf version of the white tree that we know as Ukigumo, Our 15 year old tree is only 3ft tall so will light up any small space. What is the difference between Olivia and Ukigumo (the floating cloud maple), we ask. Well apart from being a dwarf maple, it grows in shelf layers. A true japanese shape and has a stronger growing habit and when older, never tends to burn. It remains white with a hint of P!NK throughout the season.

BlackMaple likes this.
  7. Acerholic

16th May 2021 and an update on this cultivar. It is now being produced as Acer palmatum 'Olivia'. I am very pleased to say that it is on it's way to me this week.
    It is very similar to Ukigumo colouring, but the differences are habit and sun tolerance. It is a dwarf maple that copes with the sun well which Ukigumo does not.

D97x7 likes this.
  8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sounds like 'Olivia' ticks all the boxes 'Ukigumo' cannot. I could never get on with 'Ukigumo' due to ugly growth habit, sunburn and dieback. Loved the colour though.

9. Acerholic

Good morning M, that is sad to hear, as it's always done well in my garden. It is in a lot of shade though. But the new one will be placed in a lot more sun, so we will see how it goes. I have a feeling Olivia is going to sell out rather quickly.

maf likes this.
  10. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I remember Pat showing me the 3 foot tree a few years back at Hampton Court.. looked very nice indeed..

maf likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Are you tempted R ????? Lol.

maf likes this.
  12. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I must admit the only time I tried 'Ukigumo', the plant was horrible to begin with, looked like it came out of a greenhouse, all soft and green of bark. When I opened the mail order box containing it my first thought was this plant is going to die sooner or later.... and sure enough it kicked the bucket a few years later after struggling on as best it could. Can't remember the nursery but never used them before or since.

Anyway, 'Olivia' sounds like a much better plant for me, particularly as it is more dwarf and thus will like growing in a container.

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Sounds like one will be coming your way sometime in the future M.

maf likes this.
  14. dicky5ash

Back then when I saw the donor tree Pat put me on the waiting list but then forgot to let me know when they were ready lol.. since then I’ve picked up 3 good strong ukigumo’s. One of them is now about 8 foot the other 2 are 3 foot, all doing really well with strong white variegation so I probably won’t bother getting Olivier.. Here’s a pic of the larger one..

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, maf, D97x7 and 2 others like this.
  15. Acerholic

That's a very good point R. I only have the one and that's in the shade where it does well. This new Olivia will go in a lot more sun near a dark red for contrast.
    Glad you liked it at Hampton Court show when you saw the mother tree. All bodes well for mine.
    Yours is looking very nice BTW. And 8ft tall. That is an Ukigumo with a definite WOW factor.

dicky5ash likes this.
  16. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I will be waiting patiently for this one to cross over :)

17. dicky5ash

Personally I would not put a highly variegated tree in more than just a splash of indirect sun..now it maybe more sun tolerant that UN but I think it might suffer or green out..as you know the words “more” sun tolerant is a matter of degrees!

I hope you do well with Olivia, the donor tree was stunning.

Acerholic and maf like this.
  18. Acerholic

Thanks for the advice R, it is much appreciated, I will ensure it has only a little more sun than my Ukigumo.
    One day I hope to see the donor tree myself. But I trust your opinion that you say it was stunning. Thanks again.

19. dicky5ash

I can’t give advice D only my bumbling experiences! For comparison purposes here are the small ones..which are about 1m now..bit bigger than I thought..my ones have been strong growers.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, zfrittz, D97x7 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Acerholic

But shared experiences are equally important R.
    Your Ukigumo's are wonderful. I love them near the reds.