Acer palmatum 'Tsuma gaki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, Apr 6, 2005.

1. cthenn

cthenn Active Member

The leaves on Nelran's Tsuma gaki appear to be quite deeply divided...not what I've seen in other photos, and in my own specimen. I too, am far from an expert, but to my untrained eye, it sure doesn't look like the "typical" Tsuma gaki leaf shape.

2. nelran

nelran Active Member

You hit the nail. I bought it from Eastfork Nursery. Maybe as you, Matt and cthenn pointed out, mine isn't the true form, and can be one form of Tsuma beni. I read a lot of info about this cultivar, because isn't match what the books are describing as Tsuma Gaki, but still is a fuzzy territory, as for some other cultivars.
    Also we need to consider other factors that can affect the leaves perhaps is is too young or isn't adapted yet to this warmer climate, or really isn't a true Tsuma Gaki.
    I promise that I will keep this post updated with pictures of summer and fall, to see if somebody can detect what it is.
    Thanks for your replies and help!

Nelran

3. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My 'Tsuma gaki' is a tease.

Attached Files:

4. winterhaven

I traded up my 3' Tsuma gaki for a 7' tree.

I can't wait to see it in the spring.

Attached Files:

• 087.jpg
      087.jpg
      File size:
      218.2 KB
      Views:
  5. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

this one always amazes me

Attached Files:

6. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

That is AWESOME! I am always amazed at full grown maples! Is that one at Buckholtz?

7. amazingmaples

This Tsuma gaki this spring has a lot of pinkish orange yellow color to the leaves. I have found a very inconsitant coloring in all of my tsuma gaki this year. They are all over my yard so each one gets different exposure. Other years, they have been similar.

PS look at the As 'Moonrise' on the right in photo one. It has picture perfect color this year.

Attached Files:

8. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

I was quite surprised at the color change of the leaves that has come with the summer heat! I don't remember reading much about the leaves turning reddish/pink from the lime green of spring... But, it seems to be doing quite well thus far. It gets morning sun until about 2 pm.

Attached Files:

9. amazingmaples

They have been very red all year long even if it is more in the shade.

I have added a photo of the same tree photo taken 9 aug 11. Most of my other tsuma gaki do not look as well as this one and others are dropping leaves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  10. winterhaven

Not the coloration for which I had hoped. It was OK in spring and contrasted nicely with Purple Ghost. But its wasn't lime with red margins; instead it was kelly green with maroon margins. And since then it has had some fairly significant die back (on the other side). Maybe next year it will be happier. Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice tree. I just had really, really high expectations of color.

Attached Files:

11. amazingmaples

It looks good considering it is a fresh kill, as I call them. Tsuma gaki are touchy

here is one of my Tsuma gaki has nicer color than many others but it is loosing leaves in July

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  12. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'Tsuma gaki' -- fall colors?

Hi folks, I've been admiring Tsuma Gaki at one of the local nurseries here in Columbus, OH. Exceptionally nice this spring with the lime green tipped in red. There are a ton of pictures showing this well on a lot of sites. But, I'm having trouble locating a picture of the leaves in mid-summer to see coloration, and most importantly fall color pictures. Does anyone have some they'd like to post to help me out in making a decision?
    Thanks!

13. amazingmaples

The photo I posted in August last year is about the best I have seen for fall color. I have found that the late summer season color is the fall color. To the most part the leaves just start falling of the tree in early fall.

14. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Thanks Amazingmaples. But, now you've peaked my interest for a different reason. In your August post, you mentioned about Tsuma gaki being "touchy". Care to expand just a bit on this? Does it dislike heat and humidity (of which we unfortunately have plenty in a normal summer)? Or is it one of those plants that either really likes it where it is, and grows well, or dislikes it and dies (or always looks crappy), with almost nothing in-between?

I've been reading a lot of the posts on this website, as you all have a vast wealth of knowledge to share and for me to gain.
    Jerry

15. amazingmaples

I have found the Tsuma gaki to do dbest in a more shaded location. It seems to hold its leaves longer. I find it to be a spring tree. As for fall, it does have very nice color but that color comes on early and sometimes the tree looks pretty sad by the mid of fall. i have found this the case in the sun and in the shade.
    i still find it one of my favorite small trees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  16. winterhaven

This spring... prettier this year than last.

Attached Files:

17. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This is the colour I get on the unfolding spring leaves of my little one:

Attached Files:

18. maf

I discovered that a correct transliteration of the Japanese characters that represent this cultivar; 爪  柿 , is in fact 'Tsume kaki'. This also fits in with the accepted translation, meaning "Persimmon nail".

By contrast "tsuma" means "garnish of sashimi, usually made of daikon" or "wife (hum)", and "gaki" means "brat, kids, ghoul".

Some pictures from a very late spring in the UK:

Attached Files:

19. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Interesting. I'll have to ponder over that a bit.

20. MapleJay

MapleJay New Member

Here is what I believe to be my Tsuma Gaki.

Attached Files:

21. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hello,

I was a bit worried about the early "Autumn/Fall colours" of my Tsuma Gaki, but after reading the previous messages, I realize that it's a bit "touchy" as someone wrote.

It's actually one that I got with a discount from a garden center, in summer 2013, because its leaves were burnt out. This spring, it was perfectly healthy, with the nice colours one could expect, but the leaves at the end of the branches turned orange-reddish like one would expect in autumn.

But it's been in full sun so far, and we've had a lot of sun, with windy periods too, so that's probably why it looks like that. Or if you have any other suggestion why this rapid change in colours, let us know... (first picture: 19 April, 2nd picture: 8 May)

PS: the water here is very hard, I thought it might be the reason, so I watered it with Epsom salts about a week ago, and sprayed the foliage with the same yesterday.

Attached Files:

22. maf

Alain, I suspect your tree was burnt out at the garden centre by too much sun. This one can lose its leaves very early in the season if it is not happy. I wouldn't risk 'Tsuma gaki' in French full sun; I would recommend morning sun and afternoon shade or dappled shade beneath a larger tree.

I love the colour of the "nails" in the early spring picture of your your tree, seems like the true form to me. Sometimes the leaves that emerge later than the initial leaf flush can have that reddish appearance as seen in the second picture, maybe that is what is going on here? Perhaps combined with sun exposure?

In any case, truly a maple to treasure, 'Tsuma gaki' may even be my favourite Acer.

23. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, it was in a pretty bad state when I got it, but I was very happy to save it: I've had another one that I lost the 2011 winter, so when I saw it, I didn't hesitate because...

...because I agree with you: it's a wonderful cultivar, certainly in the top 3 among the 20-25 J. maples I have (so far...)

24. blake

blake Active Member 10 Years

Here is a pic of mine showing the same characteristics as Alains tree; it gets a lot of Spring sun. However, this tree does not lose its leaves. It will receive shade for most of the rest of the year, but the red on the leaves do not fade it darkens a bit but holds all season.

Conversely, I have a second Tsuma gaki that displays all of the touchy characteristics others have described. Beautiful in the Spring, it has looked reliably bad for me by mid- to late-summer for 6 years now regardless of where I situate it. Noteworthy, this tree never displays the reddening of the leaves when given some sun like the other one does.

From the posts above, it seems like Amazing has experienced similar results with various trees.

Are we dealing with different forms here or have some simply evolved to better handle the sun?

My personal preference is for coloring like MapleJays tree above rather than more red version, but if I were shopping for another Tsuma gaki I would seek out one that displays this reddening on the leaves when given sun it seems to be more durable in a hotter climate.

Attached Files:

25. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

There is technically one form of tsuma gaki (or tsume kaki perhaps) from my understanding. However, I believe one of the forms (there are at least 3) of tsuma beni has been mixed up with tsuma gaki. I wouldn't put this in stone, but I that is what I have concluded to this point at least. Perhaps take a look at the tsuma beni thread to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.