Acer palmatum 'Tsukasa Silhouette'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Kaitain4, Sep 11, 2008.

1. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Love this tree's columnar shape.

Attached Files:

2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I think this one is shaping up ok. This is its third year from a new graft. Can't wait to see it 3 years from now. It gets full sun until 1 or 2pm. I'm thinking it's ready to go in the ground this fall or next spring.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@LoverOfMaples good afternoon D, hope you are having a nice relaxing weekend.
    Can I ask if your Tsukasa Silhouette does OK in the pot in the ground?
    The reason I ask is that a friend lost his Katsura from doing this, as the water could not escape.
    I expect you have yours in very good drainage to allow for the water to pass through, but I thought I would ask. Hope you don't mind.
    I think you are right, this Autumn looks good for it to go in the ground. Same position ???

4. LoverOfMaples

Hey D. It does well. I don't let it root into the ground. I try to lift them as much as possible to make sure it doesn't happen. But u are also right, I have pretty decent draining soil so it won't get water logged if it did happen.

5. LoverOfMaples

Oh yeah, it will be planted in that spot since it have done so well this year there. I will definitely move it forward about a foot or 2.

6. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples good morning D, that's good I would hate to see the same happen to your tree as my other friends. Thought you would have it all sorted!!
    I can see why you are going to keep it there, it is set off nicely by the colour of the wooden boards.
    Look forward to seeing it planted and growing over the years on the forum.

7. LoverOfMaples

I moved it into full sun this year. Oh yeah, please excuse the toys in the back ground, lol.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

The beauty with this cultivar is that it can be placed with greens and or reds. It's growing really well D, is the lower right branch coming off later on on it's development?

9. LoverOfMaples

If it don't catchup. I will try to airlayer it. It has grown very well. I remember it was only 12in when I received it.