Acer palmatum 'Sunset'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, May 3, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is an amazingly gorgeous cultivar gotten from Del Loucks' nursery. For the last 2 years it's performed well, grown robustly, and just now has taken on a unique rather intense terra cotta color in the garden. This photo was taken April 25, 2007.

Attached Files:

2. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

This is my sunset. It is in full sun.

Krautz

Attached Files:

3. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Were the buds fairly large on this cultivar prior to opening? (like an as aureum) I may have this cultivar (mislabeled of course). I will send a leafed out version later.

I have added a leafed out version, only getting early morning sun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

this has a nice interesting spring color

Attached Files:

5. amazingmaples

This has a very nice orangish red pink color this this spring

Attached Files:

6. amazingmaples

here is the color at the end of July 2011, it has a little white color. The tree can burn a little in full sun. This is a great tree for small gardens. Photo 3 is from 9 aug 11

I added a photo of one in full sun. It is turning a nice orangish color

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  7. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Very nice!!! Where did you get the tree? I've done a search online and, so far, Davidsan's is the only one who comes up as carrying it... How big are the leaves?

8. amazingmaples

The leaves on mine are 1-1/2" to 2" Try Eastfork nursery, she might have it.

9. maplesandpaws

Picked up a Sunset from Davidsans in September; won't have much of a show this fall due to the extended heat spell the midwest suffered through this summer, but I am looking forward to spring.

I am a little concerned about the dark splotching on some of the branches, though. I received the tree like this, and there are new healthy buds on said branches, plus the tree looks to be doing well... I know some cultivars have bark that darkens, has striping, etc; is this one of them? Any other thoughts as to what the cause might be?

Attached Files:

10. amazingmaples

to me sunset is a great tree but it does have dieback issues. I would say it is not the hardiest of trees.

11. maplesandpaws

My Sunset 'planted' in the front raised bed along the house/courtyard. No morning sun, but it receives nearly direct sun starting around 1 for 2-3 hours, angling to more indirect for the rest of the afternoon, then dappled sun/shade until nightfall. It's been in this location for about a month, with the last 2 weeks in triple digits, and I have seen very, very little crisping of the leaves. So far, I am very impressed with this cultivar - it's holding up to the sun and heat far better than most of my other maples. Really looking forward to the fall colors...

Attached Files:

12. amazingmaples

I love the colors of sunset but it is a tree with issues. In this case it has dropped all of its leaves in sept.

Attached Files:

• 078.jpg
      078.jpg
      File size:
      583.6 KB
      Views:
  13. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Mine is the same way, moody tree who's leaves start to go at the end of summer, or a little stress. But it still grows year after year.

14. maplesandpaws

Interesting... Granted, I've only had the tree about a year, but so far it's been a standout performer for me. As mentioned in my previous post, the location it's in receives a lot of sun, and it was really only around the beginning of August (see first pic) that the leaves really started to get brown and crispy on the edges (nearly every day in June and July was 95 or hotter, with nearly two weeks of straight triple digits). For a JM, especially a green dissectum, to stand up to that kind of punishment... pretty impressive, at least in my book. Hopefully I won't encounter any (or too many) issues that you have spoken of with this cultivar. :)

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

24th July 2020, an update on this cultivar that hasn't had a mention for many years in the maples gallery. I will say that as a green it can get overlooked by the various reds. I look beyond that when looking at maples, the variety of the greens should be enjoyed and it is just preparing itself for a wonderful display in October. Then the sunset name comes to the fore in the display it gives.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

28th July 2020, subtle changes to my Sunset, so have also added a close up to appreciate this. I love the variation of greens on this cultivar and how the sunlight brings these out.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    Well it has coped as all my other dissectums have done during record temperatures. I cannot recommend these enough in the changing climate. Give it a good start in the ground and Sunset will not disappoint.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

21st August 2020, two named Summer storms are going to hit later today with winds of 50 mph plus, so I thought it better to take photos early.
    All have picked up this last week due to cooler conditions and long awaited rain. The colours are changing !!!!
    This cultivar is getting a lot of interest, so I've posted two photos today of how it contrasts with a dark bark surface that I have in my garden.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    The oranges are creeping accross the bark I have in my garden. Not a bad contrast IMO.
    To get the right effect, it is so often what you have accompanying a maple that also counts.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

13th October 2020 and my Sunset hadps not changed much from the last posting, but I found this, just now. Its happening!!!

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

27th October 2020 and the yellows on my Sunset have now appeared, with hints of orange this cultivar lives up to its name.

Attached Files:

D97x7 and AlainK like this.
  22. Acerholic

I just love rain on new maple shoots and here on the 26th March 2021, it provided me with a good show.
    Sunset 710.JPG

23. Acerholic

16th April 2021 and my Sunset is now putting out leaves. It seems to have enjoyed the regular twice a day spraying with rain water to help protect it from dehydration from all the frosts.
    Sunset 191.JPG

24. Acerholic

29th April 2021 and this cultivar I find gets overlooked until Autumn, but I'm not going to and I want members to see that this is an all year maple.
    Sunset 207.JPG

25. Acerholic

30th May 2021 and a month on from my last posting of my Sunset. Now the greens in some warm sunshine are looking so nice.
    Sunset 245.JPG

D97x7 likes this.