Acer palmatum 'Squitty'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, Sep 26, 2005.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

This is a new plant to me, can anyone offer information about it? Photos taken 8/30/05

Attached Files:

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

I believe that this is an introduction from my friend and noted plantsman Harold Johnston from right here in Alabama. 'Squitty', a very slow grower or so I've heard.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If very slow then maybe it sould be called 'Squatty'.

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is a 5' tall 'Squitty'

Attached Files:

5. amazingmaples

year two of my Squitty, DEAD. It might be cool in a small tree from but I can not say many people like the looks of it. Now being dead, I get no comments

6. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Charlie,
    I am sorry for your loss, indeed I am.
    Those pictures of your Squitty last year were simply beautiful and I am so glad we have
    them to marvel over though we would all like the tree to be alive obviously.
    I have found Squitty touchy to grow and my small tree could not hold a candle to your beauty.
    Mike

7. amazingmaples

As it goes the tree died more last year, the funeral was this spring. I found the tree to have a very small rootball.

I am happy to stay bellow 3% failure so only loosing this tree and a few others looks pretty good.

I still have an Abigail Rose equal in size which is doing ok. This year the leaves are vertually non existing, they look more like furry little balls. Then again, we still have not had spring. Yes another 50 degree day with no sun. My moss really loves this weather.

8. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

If only I could share even a little of the heat we've been having for the past 2+ months... It's getting really old, and my JM's - heck, all my trees, not to mention me - are feeling the strain.

I have only just purchased my little 'Squitty'... any recommendations on care for it? Currently gets some indirect sun until about 10am, then dappled shade with a little sun the rest of the day. Leaves are burning on the edges, but this is understandable due to being transplanted after receiving it (~2 weeks ago) and the intense heat we've been having - to 108 today, before the humidex. (Picture is of Squitty before being transplanted into a 1gal pot.) Jap Maple Squitty.jpg

9. amazingmaples

Maplesandpaws the leaf looks very different to my lost Squitty.

I still have Abigail rose which is about the same tree and I have found it to do best in a sunny spot but one protected from wind.

10. maplesandpaws

It's a 1 year graft so I am expecting some changes to the overall shape/colour of the leaf over the next 2-3 years... But, I will definitely keep your comment about it differing in mind. Protect it from the wind, you say? Obviously you've never been to Kansas. :) Wind is what we do here.

Well, that and HEAT this year. UGH.

11. maplesandpaws

So very, very cute! I know the leaves will get bigger, but I kinda wish they would stay this size - would make for an amazing bonsai!!! Pls excuse the semi-out-of-focus pics :)

Attached Files:

12. maplesandpaws

Well, lost my little Squitty early last summer, but thanks to Sam, I have a wonderful, MUCH bigger replacement. This little (?) guy is about 2 1/2 ft tall, I nearly fell over when I took it out of the box. Any estimates as to how old this tree might be given the size?

Since the growth is so very congested in places, what is the best way to clean out all the old leaves without breaking off the new ones? Also, with such tight growth, is it more prone to fungal diseases or bug infestations?

Attached Files:

13. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Squitty reminds me of a batch of seedlings I have...strong pink in the spring followed by pale green and fairly slow growing.

Sorry but I'm not growing that one so I can't offer much advice except that it probably needs excellent drainage.

14. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Go to a craft store and look in the beading, or jewelry making area. They have very long tweezers that form a nice point at the end. People into that sort of thing use them to hold a small bead to run a wire or string through the center.

I use them in early spring for removing last year’s leaves on varieties such as this and for my Ulmus parvifolia 'Hokkaido'.

15. maplesandpaws

Cool, thanks for the tip! I also have a small Hokkaido, so it will be helpful for that too. :)

16. maplesandpaws

Filling out a little more... For those with a bit more experience with this tree, does it seem to do better in the ground or in a pot?

Attached Files:

17. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

I just bought this maple! what growing tips can you give me?
    A priori, it is rather difficult to cultivate.

18. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Romain, looking at the last posting date (10 years ago). You might not get an answer. Maplesandpaws was last seen on the forum in 2019.
    Look forward to seeing some photos of your new acquisition though.

Romain01 likes this.
  19. Romain01

IMG_20230507_191938.jpg IMG_20230507_191802_1.jpg IMG_20230507_191743.jpg

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Romain01 likes this.
  21. Romain01

Yes! it comes from the nursery of Mr Maillot.