Acer palmatum 'Skeeter's Broom'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Apr 19, 2004.

1. GardenCycles

GardenCycles Member

Acerholic, as usual photo documentary is very informative. Could you give me some info on the amount of sun your skeeters broom is receiving. I live in Virginia and only have full sun space available for a special small red leafed cultivar. Gets really hot here in the summer. This plant is for sale in my area. Cheers!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, my Skeeters gets full sun here in Zone 8b UK, but that means in Summer it gets to 30°c sometimes. I have no problems with scorching with this cultivar and it keeps it's red very well indeed.
    If your area is hotter than 30°c, then I'm not sure if it would cope. But if any small red leafed maple can, then Skeeters Broom is up there with the strongest IMO.

Cattwooduk and GardenCycles like this.
  3. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide between Atropurpureum, Skeeters Broom and a Trompenberg for a pretty much full sun position... All 3 are more or less the same for heat/sun tolerance aren't they? And besides leaf shape fair similar in colouration also afaik?

Chris

4. Acerholic

Hi Chris, yes very similar in leaf colour. Although Trompenburg is a deeper red IMO. If you are looking for smaller type leaves, then SB and Shaina are two excellent witches brooms for full sun. Both hold their reds throughout Summer very well.

Cattwooduk likes this.
  5. Acerholic

1st July 2022 and I wanted to post this as it was talked about this morning.
    Skeeters Broom 1st July 2022.JPG
    Around 12ft tall and 8 years old approx.

6. Cattwooduk

I'm after something relatively tall growing eventually. I saw a rather nice starfish this morning for sale which caught my eye, so I'll look through the forum for pictures later as I don't know an awful lot about it, sun etc.
    Weirdly, they also had a Trompenberg but the leaves didn't seem right - the leaves on the Trompenberg I already have at home are much more like starfish than the tromp' they had for sale. Mine are fairly turned down, but lobes not quite so thin as starfish. The tromp' they had the lobes were almost feathered or serated. Could have been mis-labelled I guess, I should have taken a picture!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  7. Acerholic

A good idea to have this forum on your phone when looking at maples for sale. So many are miss labeled.

8. Acerholic

16th November 2022 and my Skeeters Broom has delivered the brightest of scarlet reds this morning in very early sunshine.
    Skeeters Broom 16th November 2022 (2).JPG Skeeters Broom 16th November 2022.JPG

9. Karl Villareal

Karl Villareal Active Member

Here's my young Skeeter, starting to turn scarlet
    20221202_161924.jpg

10. Cattwooduk

What the one in the blue pot behind it to the left? I love the structure of it, really nice gracious, curving growth.

Karl Villareal likes this.
  11. Karl Villareal

That's an AP Dissectum.

This was it a year ago. I staked the long branch on the left for more height.
    FB_IMG_1670115692447.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  12. Acerholic

Looks like a golden waterfall, very nice Karl.

13. Karl Villareal

Yes indeed, thanks Acerholic! Wish I could have seen the same performance this year.

14. Acerholic

31st October 2023 and a different year colour wise for my Skeeters Broom. It has stayed quite dark. But it's healthy.
    PXL_20231031_094153180.jpg

GardenCycles likes this.
  15. Acerholic

10th November 2023 and my Skeeters Broom with some nice morning colours. It has grown into quite a strange shape this year. About 12ft tall now.
    PXL_20231110_074023855.jpg

GardenCycles likes this.