Acer palmatum 'Skeeter's Broom'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

19th August 2020, lashings of rain for last 3 days, everything is picking up, so a good Autumn display is still on the cards.
    Yes it is still a lovely red in my garden. Hope it has convinced a few to buy this one. You will not regret it I promise.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    Amazing all Summer, but now starting to show some scorch. If that's all that happens this year then overall I am very pleased.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  3. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    A real stalwart in my garden. It perfoms brilliantly every year.
    Recommended this one yesterday with another to @Stuart McKenna, so thought I would take this photo in the early sunshine this morning for him.

Attached Files:

Stuart McKenna likes this.
  4. Acerholic

17th September 2020 and the colours are making a big appearance now, but as can be seen I am having a lot of new growth on my Skeeters Broom.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

18th September 2020 and a picture of the whole tree as requsted yesterday.
    My Skeeters Broom has held it's bright reds all Summer long and only now has some green in a few leaves.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

27th September 2020 and bright Autumnal sunshine brings the best out of maple leaves and my Skeeters Broom is no exception.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

October 6th 2020 and very wet, but with early morning sunshine it is making my maples look rather pretty IMO. My Skeeters Broom is almost unbelievable atm, new shoots everywhere.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  8. Acerholic

2nd November 2020 and I get so many PM's asking me what red do I reccomend, well here is my Skeeters Broom still giving out when all others have gone. So do think about this cultivar if you want those continued reds in your garden.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

7th November 2020 and here to show that Skeeters Broom is a must for any garden to give continuous reds all through the year. I think it may last until the middle of tbe month.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

30th March 2021 and yes I know a lot of people are not too keen on the brooms, but I want to promote these, as the colour and densenes of the branches and foliage gives pleasure all Spring and Summer.
    Skeeters broom 714.JPG

11. Acerholic

18th Apr 2021 and three weeks on since my last posting shows what this cultivar will do for any garden re those beautiful reds.
    It never let's me down this one.
    Skeeters Broom 195.JPG

12. Acerholic

26th May 2021 and if you want reds all season long then Skeeters Broom will not disappoint.
    Skeeters Broom 240.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  13. Acerholic

2nd July 2021 and the leaves on my Skeeters Broom is why I think everyone should have this cultivar in their collection. Or just the one in amongst a sea of green shrubs in a garden. It won't let you down.
    Skeeters broom 289.JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  14. FallonS

FallonS New Member

Hi, I live in South Louisiana and my tree seems to be struggling. I bought it earlier this year around April or May. We planted it in the ground. This tree gets full sun. Over the summer it seemed that bugs had started eating the leaves so we started applying seven dust. Now that it is fall, it seems the leaves are falling. They have turned a darker color and appear fried. If anyone has any advice on what I can do, I'm open! I loved this tree when I purchased it and so sad to see it potentially dying.

15. Acerholic

@FallonS, good evening and welcome to the maples forum. With regards to your Skeeters Broom, some photos would help members consider what is happening. I have attached a link to show you how to do this.
    Attach photos and files
    But please do remember that maples are deciduous and will shed all their leaves.The fact that they are falling is a good sign. The thing to look for are new buds forming ready for next year. If you see these then all should be well.

So please post some photos so that a better analysis can be made.

D

16. FallonS

FallonS New Member

Here are some photos. It looks like some green is coming out so maybe there is hope!

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

OK it looks quite alright from the photos. Now when all the leaves have dropped, look for obvious dead branches. These are very pale almost white, so quite identifiable. Prune these out as they are not needed and will not produce new shoots next year. Then look for any blackened branches. These also should be removed. Then leave your tree alone and next Spring you will see new buds swell. In the Spring ensure you water if it gets too dry. This is the time when maples need a drink and IMO a feed ( controlled release) if newly planted. ( first two years I feed btw).

Hope that helps

D

18. FallonS

FallonS New Member

Thank you so much for the advice! It was beautiful when I purchased it, and unfortunately the garden center had it up against a fence so one side wasn't growing limbs out. I was drawn to the colors of this tree, so I am looking forward to them again!

19. Acerholic

April 7th 2022 and a new season starts for my Skeeters Broom. This tree has never failed me and I have no reason to believe it will this year looking at how it's starting.
    Skeeters broom April rain 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  20. Acerholic

26th April 2022 and my Skeeters Broom is fully leafed out now. @Cattwooduk might like to see this one. It stays red all Summer and is very hardy. I don't have it in full sun and it maintains it's red.
    Skeeters Broom April 26th 2022.JPG

Cattwooduk, Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  21. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

I had a skeeters broom I gave away as a present a couple of years ago. Really nice, tough cultivar!

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

Definitely, one of the toughest. What a lovely present you gave.

23. Acerholic

27th May 2022 and this is how my Skeeters Broom stays all Spring and Summer every year, it is hardy. So I recommend this cultivar to anyone who wants a good red with lots of leaf in their garden.
    Skeeters broom 27th May 2022.JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  24. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

This is a new one for me - I needed a compact upright red to break up a big mass of green in one corner. Only small for now, but I'm hoping it does well and holds its colour in this spot:

20220528 Skeeters Broom.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

I have found over the years that Skeeters Broom is tne most reliable in my garden for keeping it's red. And tuff as old boots as they say. I'll watch yours with interest Xi.

GardenCycles and Xi-feng like this.