Acer palmatum 'Skeeter's Broom'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is Acer palmatum 'Skeeter's Broom'. It is from a witche's-broom found on a 'Bloodgood'. I grafted this one last winter/spring from scion sent to me by a friend. Photo made 4-14-04.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Skeeter's Broom' 7-6-04

Here is a better photo that shows more detail and the progression of my little 'Skeeter's Broom'. Photo made 7-6-04.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  3. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Pictures taken 6/5/05

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  4. conifers

conifers Active Member

The US National Arboretum, late May, 2006. A witches' broom from Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'.

Attached Files:

5. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

These are pictures of my Skeeters Broom purchased as a one gal in 2000. This cultivar holds its color very well is full sun all season.

Attached Files:

GardenCycles likes this.
  6. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Ed,

I love the 2nd picture. Reminds me alot of my garden in the summer. You are right about this cultiver holding its color. Also, I find it is a different color red than the others. Keep posting pics of your trees and garden in the dull winter months.

Mike

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

As you can see in the photo, this cultivar has the truncated central lobe like many brooms. Skeeter's Broom is from the Raraflora Nursery in Pennsylvania, and it holds really great color throughout the growing season. This photo was taken May 5, 2008.

Attached Files:

8. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Skeeter in the spring

Attached Files:

9. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

'Skeeters Broom' was found and propagated by Edward "Skeeter" Rodd, a principal
    at Raraflora Nursery. 'Skeeter's Broom' is 1 of my favorite witches brooms and has
    a unique cerise red color which holds throughout the summer here which is everyday
    80-105F from April thru October. The red does NOT fade. Mine is a good 6ft tall and quite fastigate. Has anyone found a seed on his Skeeter's Broom or any witches
    broom? I have some big mature brooms but never a seed although I am told they
    do produce seeds.

10. conifers

conifers Active Member

Hi katsura,

All witches' brooms are female so they are capable of producing seeds, at least talking conifers. However most conifers witches' brooms don't produce viable seed. I don't know about the rate at which maple brooms compare to conifer brooms in viable seed production.

I've grown seed from cultivar witch broom Acer palmatum but the seedlings are usually very low from my limited experience. I've had results of about (3) seedlings from 'Lima Gold' which is such a slow grower and has such tiny leaves, I'll assume it's a witches' broom. I can't be sure at the moment but I think this is a witch.

I really can't add much more.

Best Regards,

Dax

11. katsura

Dax,
    Thank you for that great imput. I am not familiar with acer palm. 'Lima Gold'. Does it
    have a shortened, stubbed middle lobe on the leaves which is the telltale sign of
    a maple witches broom?
    Thank you.

12. katsura

Dax,
    I just throught of looking up Lima Gold on the maple photo gallery.
    There are some excellent photos by NJACER which upon expansion
    do NOT show the shortened center lobe and so would be a dwarf not
    a witches broom, in my opinion.
    Thanks.

13. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Katsura,

You are correct. Lima Gold is a dwarf cultivar and like Mikawa yatsubusa produces seed. I have not found any seed on any of my witches broom cultivars.

Ed

14. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

After viewing Ed's 'Skeeter's broom' back in May my GF urged me to acquire one! I got a 2 gal in June from an OR seller and potted it in a shady spot to settle in. For 3-4 weeks it didn't show any transplant shock at all UNTIL....... i was away and we had some weather that blew over a larger 'Orido nishiki' that was providing shade. I came home and after 2 days of 5-6 hrs sun the 'Skeeter' is fried, very fried. Wondering if that seems like the correct explanation or if maybe the plant has other issues. Or am i maybe missing something all together???

15. katsura

Gil.
    Sorry to hear that. Do you have any buds on the broom? I got a Twombley's recently
    which got fried in shipment. I stripped off all the crinkled leaves, watered it with Super
    Thrive and it leafed out later. No blackness on the lower stem?
    Good luck.
    Mike

16. Poetry to Burn

Mike,

Thanks for your sympathy.

I don't see any obvious evidence of infection, it seems to have grown new roots, doubtful that it was over or under watered since it is in a small fast draining pot. I'm going to hit it with some tea and see what happens.

Gil

17. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

If the limbs look healthy, it will propably bud back out.
    In the heat dow here in the south the last two summers, i have gotten quite adjusted to trees getting fried. If it was only really in the full sun for a couple of days, it propably is just dropping leaves to keep from loosing much more water.

Just get it back in a shaded palce and i would expect it to bud out within 2-3 weeks if there is no other problems.

Mike

18. Poetry to Burn

'Crazy' Mike,

Ya the limbs look fine and I can see tiny buds when the leaves fall. It is back under 'Orido nishiki' and I am optimistic. It's been really hot here as well and a few plants slowly fried. 'Skeeter's broom' though crisped up so fast I was concerned.

One thing that I hadn't thought of till just now is that perhaps the pot got way hotter just as the tree received much more sun. That combination might explain the alarming speed of the crisp-out. (thanks Kaspian)

Appreciate your impressions.

Gil

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  19. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is my Skeeter's Broom in september

Attached Files:

20. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

This spring the tree has more of a orangish red color

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

As there have been no photos of Skeeters Broom for some years, I thought I would add mine. (Sumner and Autumn).
    It is without doubt the most red out of all my red maples, it holds it's colour all Sumner and into the first part of Autumn, after which it blazes a brilliant scarlet.
    It is my recommendation for anybody wanting that bright splash of red in their garden for many many months of the year.

D

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

The 11th July 2020, here is my Skeeters broom still displaying lovely scarlet reds when almost all, but this and Atropurpureum are showing greens in their leaves. This variety does this year after year after year.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

I've had a few requests to keep a diary in this thread throughout Summer as evidence of how this cultivar maintains its reds.
    Photo this morning 17th July 2020. Still pretty good IMO.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.
    Still doing well and holding its colour over every other maple in my garden.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Everyone should have a Skeeters broom in their garden IMO. So tough and yet so pretty.

Attached Files: