Acer palmatum 'Sister Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Sister Ghost. Yes it is still holding it's greens and no the photo is not blurred, it is just how strong the colouring is.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    The greenest of all the ghosts, Sister excels in these early morning conditions.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

8th October 2020 and after requests about the difference between Sister and First ghost, here is mine this morning. Still no changes in the colours btw. Getting later and later every year.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  4. Acerholic

2nd November 2020 and my little Sister Ghost that I keep protected all Summer has rewarded me today. I planted it next to my Amber ghost three years ago to give this contrast. I am pleased with the effect.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

7th November 2020 and my Sister ghost is a star for me this morning. I think this ghost deserves a place in any collection.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  6. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Only a few of my maples have survived this crazy weather/storms this year as far as color goes. But my young 'Sister Ghost' was protected in the greenhouse and have presented me today with some happiness.

@Acerholic you guys are getting some awesome color over there!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples good afternoon D, yes we have been fortunate in some cultivars, but others have just turned brown and dropped. Apart from the last few days it has been very warm once again for September and October. Even today it is now 17°C in my garden.
    The bright yellows on your Sister ghost is definatly something to cheer you up. I have found this ghost gets better with age, so you will enjoy it more and more each year.

8. LoverOfMaples

I'll be looking forward to it. If this happens again I might become a greenhouse grower.

9. Acerholic

Lol !!!

10. Acerholic

2nd April 2021 and my Sister ghost is going to get more attention this year, as its not always given the interest it deserves.
    Placed amongst the deep red of other maples, it makes for a wonderful contrast.
    Sister ghost 716.JPG

11. LoverOfMaples

'Sister Ghost'

20210415_155053.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Looking good D and I really like how you are putting the names on your photos. I will have to learn how to do that.
    My Sister Ghost, is holding off leafing out, quite sensible of it in these temperatures.

13. Acerholic

4th May 2021 and a first appearance of my Sister ghost new leaves. They are very welcome indeed.
    Sister ghost 215.JPG Sister ghost 216.JPG

14. Acerholic

11th May 2021 and now my Sister Ghost is showing why this is a very much liked cultivar.
    Sister ghost 222.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  15. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Just received my Sister Ghost and I'm surprised (and delighted) by how pale it is. At far left, contrasted against Uncle, Grandma and Amber:

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

A purchase you will never regret X. It looks great!!

Xi-feng likes this.
  17. Xi-feng

Thank you, yes indeed - I've been haunting Stephen Roff on eBay until it came back into stock, then jumped on it before it could sell out again. Hoping I can keep it happy!

18. Acerholic

Thank goodness for the Internet eh!!
    Re keeping it happy, it does prefer more shade that the other ghosts I have found.

Xi-feng likes this.
  19. Xi-feng

Ahh, that's good to know - thank you! It's in a relatively protected spot at the moment, but will keep an eye on it!

20. Acerholic

19th May 2021 and my Sister Ghost is one that enjoys the shade more than others in the Ghost series. So here it is this morning loving the conditions.
    Sister ghost 231.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  21. Xi-feng

Still delighted at those pale leaves!

20210522 Sister Ghost.jpg

22. Acerholic

Now that is really ghostly Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  23. Xi-feng

Posting on the last day of May to show just how pale this little one remains!
    20210530 Sister Ghost.jpg

24. Acerholic

Last day of May tomorrow Xi. One of my daughters birthday, so I'm pretty sure it is.. Lol.
    Do give this one some protection, it is very delicate in the Summer and can fry very quickly. I see it's very new for you, so just wanted to pass this on.

Xi-feng likes this.
  25. Xi-feng

Ah -- good catch on the date, and happy birthday to your daughter for tomorrow!

That's helpful advice on the lighting, thank you: this one is under my big patio rain-cover so it only ever gets sunlight that's filtered through the acrylic roof - and that for only a few hours early in the morning - so it's good to know I'm doing the right thing here. Would hate to lose this one, as it's one of my top favourites :)