Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

JT, It is a lovely tree that you have there in a bonsai form. I try to bonsai my 3+yrs shishi but since I never done bonsai before; can you advise me when is the good time to transfer it to the bonsai pot?. I think I got the mixing part under control but still want to learn about the timing. Thanks, Steven

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Atapi,
    I recommend potting the tree in the Spring. Usually around the beginning of April in my area, when the buds are swelling, I pot the tree before the tree leafs out. Be sure to keep the roots moist when out of the pot and water thoroughly once potted and add soil as needed to offset any settling.

Here are some videos you may find helpful (first gives the most detail):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OhuBvfJ8Xw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRKyBpYnmfA

Here is my bonsai this Fall-

Attached Files:

3. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi John,
    Thank you for the input and the youtube video. Yes, I am also thinking about Spring time for transplant.
    Since this is my first time to transition JM from a regular pot into a bonsai pot, will I just follow to what the video showed but trim the root down to fit with the pot size as well as trimming the branches to balance with the trimmed-roots?. And I plan to use al-gritty mix, is it OK?. BTW, I am in VA climate, do you have any other tips?.
    Thank you so much, Steven

4. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

John,
    Your Shishi is gorgeous. The color is really beautiful this year. Take care of that baby :).

5. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I noticed a few weeks ago that my favorite local nursery had a nice one among their usual JM stock. I have been keeping my eye on it and they finally put up their 40% Off Fall Sale sign this week so I swooped in. I pretty much buy everything there so I got it at 50% off for $100 cash. It's 64 inches high and in great shape. No leaf scorch at all.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I was asked for a close up of the leaves of my Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira', so here it is.
    This one is such a slow grower, I would reccomend it if you have a smaller space and are not worried about speed of growth.
    It is perhaps an acquired taste, but once you have it you will love it as much as I do. And that's 'a lot'

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

I'm so pleased that my Shishigashira is at last putting on some new growth. It has been very slow this year. Not much but pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  8. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    My Shishigashira is so small and throwing out the weirdest shoots. It's because if this I love this cultivar so much.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I bought this one last year and I repotted it shortly after. It's grown much faster than I had thought. So far, it's been kept in the shade, but I will gradually expose it to more sun to try and get vivid autumn colours when the heat wave is over :

acerp-shishi_200810a.jpg acerp-shishi_200810b.jpg

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  10. Acerholic

@AlainK, I'm now embarrassed posting mine .......

11. AlainK

You should be ! LOL

Seriously, I was at a plant fair and only brought 30 € with me, thinking "I won't buy anything!", only something around 25€ if can find a Shirasawanum 'Aureum'. Didn't find one, but who could resist for this other one at 29.99 ???

12. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My shishigashira which I bought ten years ago. As most of my other maples it loves to be in the ground finally and the trunk has thickened considerably this year.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

@MapleMO, good morning M, hope you are getting some rain at last. Your Shishigashira looks so much happier in the ground, it is one of those maples that the thickening of the trunk from being in the ground brings out more character to this cultivar.
    Great looking tree.

14. Acerholic

19th August 2020, lashings of rain for last 3 days, everything is picking up, so a good Autumn display is still on the cards.
    My very very little Shishigashira has some new growth, OK you might need a magnifying glass to see it, but it really has at last.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  15. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    Here is the new growth 3 weeks on. Not bad at all IMO for a very slow grower. Hints of Autumn are now visible on the edges of my Shishigashira.

Attached Files:

16. AlainK

One of the very few that were still mainly green yesterday. Others changed colours overnight and dropped most of their leaves after 2-3 days of wind and rain. Last year, it displayed a palette of very nice colours from green to red and oranges. This year, I doubt it will be very spectacular :

acerp-shishi_201029a.jpg

Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.
  17. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

One of my shi shi airlayers way ahead of its sibling and mother

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

That is some amazing wiring D, looks like a snake working it's way up the tree. Great photo, especially for anybody wanting to start training a maple.

19. LoverOfMaples

Thanks D. I've had a good bit of practice dealing with bonsai. Im using plastic tubing to see if that helps with wire mark just in case I don't get to it in time.

20. Acerholic

28th March 2021 and I had to show the buds on my Shishigashira to D @LoverOfMaples to compare across the pond trees..
    Shishigashira713.JPG

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  21. LoverOfMaples

Looking good D.

22. Acerholic

11th April 2021 and my little Shishigashira is now underway, this one in my collection is very small, but size is never important in our maple passion.
    Shishigashira 186.JPG

23. LoverOfMaples

One have tons of flowers this year. It was repotted in 2019.

20210411_103036.jpg

20210411_181642.jpg

This is on the other side of the yard with no flowers and need to be repotted.

20210411_084424.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Acerholic

They do have their way of telling us what they need. Both looking very healthy though D.

25. LoverOfMaples

Im really ready to put them in the ground but we might be moving next year. So im waiting patiently.