Acer palmatum 'Sekka yatsubusa'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, May 17, 2005.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Kyoryu another cultivar akin to Sekka , similar traits re the branching and emerging leaf colours, but tends to have more red in the fall with the odd splash of yellow

Attached Files:

2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Speaking of Autumn colours.. check this out ;-)

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and AlainK like this.
  3. ROEBUK

Keep this one in a container for the super leaf colours in the fall , tend to be a bit dull when in the ground and look a bit drab. Will post you some pics later.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  4. Luke’s Maples

I love that. What a beautiful shaped tree. Thanks

5. ROEBUK

Noticed this one when you posted the other day , great upright shape on it will look good later , both mine are on low grafts nice mounding shapes but would have liked a taller one like yours.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  6. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Mark. I couldn’t believe it when he pulled it out. 3ltr £24.95. There was no way I was going to walk away from that. This is grafted about 5 inches high so it’s just been well trained right from the off.

7. lobsterpop

lobsterpop Member

in the ground 7 years now from a 2" starter pack, this one is now 6' tall. this has been rather slow, I didn't have the heart to toss it out but didn't like it much, either, hence the very shady spot . Now I like it a lot - very dark green/sculptural all summer, this one invites close inspection next to the path. The bark is pale green. it has summer sun straight overhead for about a half hour, otherwise shaded by a witch hazel (which is overdue for coppicing), the sekka yatsubusa has been growing in one plane to catch the light. all the leaves have fallen now but this one and katsura hime are in their glory, here it is early December, frost is at least 3 weeks late this year. I have this next to a sasanqua setsugekka, I don't know what these names mean but they seem happy enough together. Colors have been terrific this year, surprising after a brutally hot and dry summer, but the fall rains kicked in.

Attached Files: