Acer palmatum 'Sekka yatsubusa'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, May 17, 2005.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Photo taken 5/15/05

Attached Files:

2. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'sekka yatubusa'

This photo, taken April 8, 2007, shows my Sekka Yatsubusa morphing into a dragon.

Attached Files:

3. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Re: Acer palmatum 'sekka yatubusa'

Here are some pics of 'sekka yatsubusa' from the nursery taken on 6-30-07. The fasciations and stem stripes shown are fairly representative of most of the tree, but some limbs are more gnarled and fasciated. The clumpy habit is somewhat similar to 'mikawa yatsubusa' and 'shishigashira', but noticably different.

Attached Files:

4. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum 'Sekka yatubusa'

fall 2008

Attached Files:

5. winterhaven

Spring color

Attached Files:

6. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is the fall color of a Sekka yatsubusa

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  7. winterhaven

The tree above is now my tree!

I really love the coral pink and salmon tones of this tree in the winter.

Thank you, Charlie.

Attached Files:

• 066.jpg
      066.jpg
      File size:
      272 KB
      Views:
    • 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      File size:
      170.9 KB
      Views:
  8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Winter, I don't like to be negative but I wanted to mention that I do not like the look of the black patches on the bark of this tree, visible on the main stem/trunk in the pictures. Obviously it is very hard to tell anything for sure from a photograph, but if these branches die back you can be certain they were infected before you bought the tree. To be on the safe side I hope you have some type of warranty with the vendor.

9. amazingmaples

I would gladly take the tree back. I have had it for a few years with no dieback anywhere on the tree.

10. maf

Charlie - No offence intended, hopefully none taken. I was just saying I did not like the look of the black areas I can see in the photo of that tree. They might indicate an infection in the cambium, but there might also be a harmless explanation - I am willing to listen to other possibilities. I am certainly not a plant pathologist, so don't take my views as anything more than the opinions of an amateur enthusiast.

Winter - I am not saying your tree will die back, I am saying be aware of the blackened areas and if branches do die back then look for a correlation between the two events. When I see blackened areas like that on Japanese maples it sets alarm bells ringing, and I felt I had to comment despite not wanting to make what would inevitably be perceived as a negative comment. Good luck.

11. winterhaven

Hi maf,

Thank you so much for looking out for me. One of the reasons I post in this forum is because sometimes people see things I miss.

I have looked at this particular tree for a number of years. So on the day I bought it I didn't look at it very closely. When I went to get it out of the truck I noticed the discolorations, but to the human eye they look brown and not black. And trunk of the tree has places that are green and places that are they same brown, so I speculated that this particular tree just does weird things.

If I'd bought it from any other nursery, I probably would have left it in the truck and returned it because I don't know enough to take chances. But I know Charlie has been growing that particular tree for years in a prominent location. And every single time I have bought a tree from Charlie he has said to me, "If you don't like it, bring it back." I've even exchanged trees with him that I bought two years previously with no questions asked. And when one of the dozens of trees I bought from him croaked, he stood behind it as well.

So I may decide to roll the dice with this one.

Edit: added additional images.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  12. maf

Winter, when I have seen discolouration and associated dieback it has always been black, if the markings on your tree are brown then they are not the same thing. I have looked through your photos twice now and agree that some of the markings look brown and harmless. The patch that I am still a little concerned about is the large, black-looking (in the pictures) one about halfway up the tree on the main leader, I don't like the look of that at all. If you are telling me that area is brown and not black then I would be a lot less worried.

I know Charlie is a good guy and that he will look after you if it does turn out to be a problem later on.

Hopefully I have been "barking up the wrong tree" all along, and the maple is healthy - I guess you won't be able to tell for sure one way or the other until spring.

13. amazingmaples

One can be helpful and one can be distructive in their comments. This tree you found to have issues with has been sitting in my yard where hundreds of gardeners and japanese maple fanatics have looked at it. Not one of them has every mentioned an issue with the bark. You found something we all have missed???

I have added a photo which was sent to me of a tree with an issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  14. winterhaven

I really wish I had some photos to share. First, I've been waiting and waiting for trees to leaf out. Finally, most have but they're so far behind that the first ones to leaf out have almost reached their summer color. It's been a bizarre, cold, and wet Spring. Secondly, if there has been a moment of sunshine when I was not in school, then I have been actually working in the garden. It's even raining right now. But I should have a free block of time on Wednesday. Should the weather permit, I will get some decent photos then.

But until then... the tree leafed out fat and sassy.

15. maf

I am glad to say I was mistaken about this one. Looking forward to the pictures, enjoy your tree.

16. winterhaven

I have been so remiss about photos this year. Sigh.

Here's one of the tree, although I must disclaim that it was late afternoon/evening and very shady.

An observation, it's very limey - almost as bright as an Orange Dream I have located in a not so sunny spot. That's a pleasant surprise. I thought it would be a deeper green. I really like the contrast next to the Fireglow. And I like that it brightens up a dark corner. I can't wait for the blue conifer you can't see to get big and then really create contrast (and screen the neighbor's house from view).

Attached Files:

17. amazingmaples

It is hard to get a nicer looking tree. Wait until the fall color it is spectacular. Well in winter it looks excellent with its funny branch structure.

I add a photo of one my Sekka yatsubusa. The lime green color comes out in the darker light.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  18. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

Amazingmaples that is a gorgeous tree. I love the lack of density to the branching and foliage. But prior to see this thread I had been doing some searching on this particular variety and I got the strong impression that it was considered very much a (significant?) dwarf cultivar. And I quote from one local, highly regarded independent nursery:

Tiny deep,shiny,green leaves with contrasting red petioles on this dwarf selection.It will take full sun and is excellent in the rock garden or for bonsai.[Aceraceae] [Garden origin] [z5] [Part sun to shade] [2 gal] [1 m (40") / 75 cm (30")].

(Might this be the description for Akita yatsubusa?)

davidsansjapanesemaples.com shows it as being 3 to 6 feet in height.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  19. winterhaven

Spring 2012.

I'd say mine is about 6' tall.

Attached Files:

20. amazingmaples

Copperbeach

As it goes Winterhavens is one of the biggest sekka yatsubusa i have owned. The Sekka pictured in #17 is taller at about 8' tall but it has spent its life in a green house where the Winterhavens was field grown. Size of japanese maple trees is a bit of a joke, I read in one article which had Bihou as a 15' tall tree??? So much to size is the location it is grown and how much boosters people feed to their trees or if the tree is staked or not.
    The Sekka in #17 was planted for a period of time under a glass roof next to a covered walk way and it grew over 15" in one season. So where the one person lives a sekka yatsubusa might only grow to 6' tall but where I live they do grow taller.
    As for the opne look, much of that is pruning.

21. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi. @winterhaven, is there any chance of an update on this tree. I have just bought one, though nowhere near as large as yours and am just going through the threads on here regarding this cultivar.

I do hope the tree is still alive and thriving ;-)

Kind regards

Luke

22. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Few pics for you luke , lovely tree in the fall rest of the year a basic green leafed tree , interesting facilated leaf/branch formation some like it some don't . Few pics of mine over the years stands at 7.5 feet now. First three pics from today, the rest over the past five years. Colour (fall) will vary due to sun/light ratio but still a pleasing cultivar , yours looks like a nice tree.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Luke’s Maples like this.
  23. Luke’s Maples

Wow, thanks Mark. That is both interesting and stunning. The branches and buds have that same habit as Miss Piggy. The Autumn colour looks as good as anything else I can name. I love bright yellows and oranges.

24. Luke’s Maples

A few of mine

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and AlainK like this.
  25. Luke’s Maples

After seeing your Tsuri Nishiki hen I came over it’s been on my list, and now...

It was really leaning to one side so it’s gona be tied up to a couple of canes to straighten it up a bit. By this time next year it should have a lovely open shape. Very excited about this one.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and AlainK like this.