Acer palmatum 'Sazanami'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A very sturdy fast growing palmatum with nice leaves. Upright habit with leading terminal branches tending to droop giving the tree a weeping appearance. Very nice red fall color.

Attached Files:

2. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2008, October 2007

Attached Files:

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Beautiful autumn shades, was not previously aware how good they were, thanks for sharing.

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

This spring the color is coming in very strong with red. I find the tree to be a vigorius grower.

Attached Files:

5. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

the fall colors are starting to come out

Attached Files:

Stuart McKenna likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

August 9th 2020, my very first posting of my Acer palmatum 'Sazanami'. Lime greens throughout the Summer and now hints of what is to come in a few weeks.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    I think I will get a good show this Autumn from my Sazanami, the leaves have held up very well this year.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    A lot of interest in this cultivar atm, so took this one early today 23rd August 2020. Agree it can get passed by in a garden full of maples, but the transformation I will show over the next couple of weeks, I hope will convince others to think about buying this cultivar.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    It's turning quickly now hence my second photo in so many days. Doing very well this year.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    Now the colours are starting to really come through. This cultivar is usually one of the first for an Autumn show. But this year has been so very different!!!

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    I wanted to concentrate on the petioles on my Sazanami today as they are so often overlooked on a maple, due to the bright leaf colours. As can be seen in a few weeks these will be secondary.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    Not on all my Sazanami leaves, but enough to say Autumn is definitely on it's way.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

4th September 2020 and the days seem to be getting shorter and shorter, which is a bit too fast for me. Busy time of the year in the garden for us maple growers, with less daylight !!!
    A morning with no dew or rain, but colours now popping up everywhere!!
    No dew today, but some warm sunshine to make my Sazanami brighten the day.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    The reds are speeding up now on my Sazanami, I really think that the transition phase is the best on this cultivar. The maple garden needs different times of interest IMO and not all about the intense colours of Spring and late Autumn.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    Asked for again so here is today's photo.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and half way through the month already, but it is hot again, 30°C yesterday and expected hotter today.
    But as is so often at this time of the year, the morning dew is here again, making trees look pretty.
    Two photos of my Sazanami as I didn't know which one to chose.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

30th September 2020 and the rain on my Sazanami first thing this morning made it look rather pretty IMO. It really brought out the changing colours of Autumn.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

2nd October 2020, the rain and a little sunshine gave an Autumnal look to my Sazanami. My favourite in my garden today tbh.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

8th October 2020 and Sazanami with a hint of rain looks very delicate amongst other maples in my garden. IMO it does not need all the trees to be so vibrant.
    Subtle colouring is very gentle and pleasing to the eyes and this has a place in any garden.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

23rd October 2020 and my Sazanami has coloured up beautifully now in my garden. Just started to spit with rain which gave the leaves an extra bonus.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

1st May 2021 and here we go for another year. It's not easy atm with the harshest April for over 60 years here in the UK, but my Sazanami is doing It's best.
    Sazanami 210.JPG

22. Acerholic

4th May 2021 and a lovely cluster of the leaves on my Sazanami. Not a maple many have in their collections as I've recently been told, so I will keep the photo diary going.
    Sazanami 217.JPG

23. Acerholic

8th May 2021 and here is another photo from a few minutes ago, to just show the members who are very interested in this one.
    Sazanami 220.JPG

24. Acerholic

29th May 2021 and as promised here's my Sazanami a few minutes ago.
    Sazanami 233.JPG

25. Acerholic

19th April 2022 and nearly a year since my last posting. But my Sazanami is now fully underway.
    Sazaname Easter Monday 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.